Who was your first

What was the first jazz artist that got you hooked on jazz? I was in a high end audio store and the salesperson put on Dianna Krall All or nothing at all on a pair of B&W's and ever since then I was hooked. And that is what led me down this never ending audio addiction.
128x128mlawitm
Detlof,

Detlof, FWIW, I think we share a 'personal taste' in jazz.

A question. Is Chet singing music an oxymoron? I wasn't part of the jazz culture when he was on the scene. Who was his audience? I enjoyed his trumpet playing some, but then he would pause and 'sing'. Glad he wasn't playing dinner jazz. Or jazz at dinner. :-)

Goldeneraguy, it makes sense what you say of course. Besides this is all purely personal. I don't pretend to be an expert. All I am recounting is the fact, that today, now quite old, I still am moved by the music of those names I mentioned, while the likes of Baker or Mulligan et al don't really get me involved. It is "interesting" for me, but that's it. I does not get below skin level.But this is off-topic anyway. So my apologies and I'll shut up.
Newbee, nice of you to chime in. In a sense, and I mean this with a touch of malice, you may be right. Never thought of Chet's music this way. His audience? I wouldn't really know. But our "intellectuals" in Europe, especially those who flirted with more than just weed, loved him. Speaking of dinner jazz...do you know Carla Bleys *Dinner Music" ? Hilarious!
Cheers,
Detlof
Detlof , Apologies are not necessary.You are not fans of Mulligan or Baker that's fine.I happen to be a fan,but that just me.I still appreciate your posts and insights.
Yeah I can appreciate the cultural myopia that might conclude that jazz is an answer to social ostracism or that musicians who must work for a living never tire of complaining about the competition. But of all the genres jazz is the one solely about its sound, one that transcends looks, cars, clothes and hairstyles. Cultural pride is righteous but assigning racial labels to individuals or groups in an attempt to somehow explain, define or symbolically organize their behavior is the absurdity of racism itself. Detlof, does a turntable sound white due to its creative origin? Beethoven isn't great because of where or when he lived. Genius is genius. Some cats can play and some can't.