Chopin Fantasie Impromptu, Opus 66

Can anyone recommend a great performance/recording of this piece?
jax2
I think the Kissin/Levine recording is the one Tim played for us.

I have ordered the Hewitt SACD, I've got to hear for myself what Jax is describing. In some respects, the description is similar to the sound I heard from my SACD player when it was set for multi-chammel playback, where I only have a two channel system. Since it was played back on a CD player, that obviously isn't the case in Jax's situation.

Newbee, I think Moravec made some recordings for Dorian, I'll have to check my library tonight.
Hey Newbee - I LOVE that Volodos / Schubert recording on Sony! Yes, highly recommended. Another go-to for me is Pletnev's live Carnegie Hall double disc.

Marco
Jax2, You've got me - I don't have Pletnevs Carnegie appearance. :-( I just put it on my shopping list at Amazon.
Now something for you IF you like obscure music. Since you like Pletnev, and you love good recordings, if you are up to some obscure, small scale Tchaikovsky (no cannons, no barnstorming theatrics, no tears, no drama what so ever, so unlike PIT) and you got the money to burn, Tchaikovsky's 18 Pieces Op72. Another live performance on DG recorded in 2005. I have one other recording of it and Pletnev's blows it away. The recording has both great clarity and a sense of depth. No fuzz or tizz in the highs, nor booming bass registers either. (I'm hoping the Carnegie Hall performance you have recommended is at least as good). But don't blame me if you it finding boring. It's impossible to know what others might enjoy, or not. :-)
PS I'd add that the Volodos is an excellent recording with great immediacy and presence (wonderful performance too), which is primarily what I felt is lacking in the dual-layer Hewitt (not "Hewlett", Newbee - if there is a Hewlett recording then we're talking about a different artist :-)

The Pletnev CD is a very spirited and energetic live performance. It does not have the sonic immediacy of the Volodos but it is a powerful performance, and a great live recording (IMO of course). It's on Deutsche Grammophon.
Oh, jez, I try to be nice to the guy and he turns out to be a pedantic. Go figure! :-)