Ear protection for concerts

I am going to see the Cowboy Junkies in a few weeks – can’t wait. Every time I see a concert my ears ring for days (and I’m sure I’m losing some hearing as well). I typically bring those cheap foam earplugs and tissue as a fall back. The earplugs sound terrible and I usually do not use them unless the volume is at “11”. I sometimes end up with tissue in my ears trying to tame the volume levels, the bad mix, and keep it listenable. Does anyone have any suggestions on audiophile or musicians earplugs at a reasonable price (nothing custom)?
128x128cdj123
I've seen the Cowboy Junkies a couple of times. Not likely they'll require the protection you are anticipating needing. I know what you fear though. I once saw Beck, who's music I enjoy. That concert was amplified so loud I could barely understand a word of what he sang (solo), and had to leave midway through the concert as it was so disturbing to my ears. I don't think earplugs would have helped and if I had to wear them I don't think I would have wanted to go in the first place. That's like playing your stereo at ear bleed levels while wearing ear plugs to protect your ears - why bother? That said, I wear audiologist made earplugs for riding motorcycles. Very effective. I would not ride without them. Those are for maximum sound reduction, but they can be designed for varying levels of reduction and they form fit inside your own canals. Short of that I'd go the Etymotic route that has already been mentioned more than once.
I suppose if one doesn't plan on sticking around this rock for long ear conditioning devices aren't much of a consideration.... or the music enthusiast standing against hearing protection are dangerously shortsighted.

Oddly enough, aside from "The Who", Fleetwood Mac gained a rep for 'solid walls of sound' and enormous SPL's back in the '70s... I can atest to the fact that it wasn't unwarranted either.

Sit well back from those transducers, attend only acoustic venues, or take heed for these thoughts on SPL reducign ear conditioners are most vlid. (sorry, it just sounds better than 'ear plugs')

'Course, if you're planning on checking out soon, then by all means, turn it up... and like that little girl from Port Arthur Texas told us... "Get it while you can".
I've worn ear plugs on the job for more then 30 years. I had special ones that are molded to the shape of my inner ears and I've worn those yellow ones you roll and place into your ears. These are highly effective at work and are my only experience with plugs. If there is a different type of ear protection made for concerts that only reduces certain frequencies and you guys are comfortable with utilizing them then I say go for it. Who am I to judge what works for you and you hearing? Most important is that we enjoy ourselves.
The last three rock concerts I've attended were John Fogerty, Ray Davies, and Robert Cray / Bonnie Raitt. The last was in a moderate sized outdoor amphitheater. These are not exactly heavy metal acts but all three were so loud that the music was distorted to the point that you couldn't call it music, just noise.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I will investigate your suggestions. I does seem that the custom fit solution is the way to go (if not for the Cowboy Junkies, the next loud concert!).