Prog Rock.....Porcupine Tree?

Ok, call me slow since I see these guys have been around for a while...Heard a sample of some of their music and was blown away...Which is the best album as a starting point...Also,,,how is their dvd?
zigonht
Agree with Qdrone about Riverside, but I'd start with either the first or second one. Rapid Eye Movement is the 3rd best IMO.

A dissenting opinion on the best PTREE starting point. I'd go with Stupid Dream, their most acessable. If you want some extra crunch/metal 'In Absentia' and the new one 'Fear of a Blank Planet' are good bets.

From what I read, the band won't be touring in 2008 - the drummer is working with King Crimson and the guitarist/writer is doing some solo projects.
Just got into this group myself. Stupid Dream is one of my favorites as well as Voyage 34. Their new LP is very good as well. burningshed is their label check out the web site. Their lead singer, Steve Wilson, has a ton of side projects so there are those groups to look into as well.
Another member here at audiogon "proghead" is into PT big time and has given me alot of info on this band. I just purchased a few things from him as well. Currently he has some stuff listed. If you want to know anything about this band he a great person to talk with.
Good luck and enjoy!!
The PT DVD is spectacular - excellent performance, sound & picture. The camera work and post-editing is quite innovative and edgy, but doesn't get in the way of the music.
Funny moment at the encore when Steven Wilson breaks a guitar string just as he's starting the acoustic section of "Trains"...his "we'll just edit this out in the DVD" comment is priceless.
I agree with the rest of the posters...although "Deadwing" has some good stuff on it as well, "In Absentia" is a beginning to end classic.
Check out the bands "Seiges Even" (The Art of Navigating by the Stars album) and The Flower Kings (Stardust We Are, or Sum of No Evil albums) for more great prog!
Porcupine Tree has many different sounds so I would need to know what you like about them to be able to recomnmend as CD. For the more atmospheric stuff I really like Coma Divine. The newer CD's are more rock oriented but still contain some great musical passages. If you feel like one of these, the latest Fear of a Blank Planet is great. Lightbulb Sun is probably the best place to start to get an idea of what they are about.

If you like Porcupine Tree but would like to see what they would sound like if they were more pop oriented you should check out Blackfield. This is a collaboration between Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Eviv Geffen (sp?), an Israeli pop artist. They have 2 CD's out and both are great as well as a really good DVD.

I agree about Riverside. I really like all 3 of their CD's but Second Life Syndrome is my favorite.
Their early albums were Steven Wilson by himself,The music psychedelic.Then with The Sky moves Sideways,Pink Floyd influnced.Signify they started rocking out,Stupid Dream,A Masterpiece finds them very Beatlesque with The song Don't Hate me,Think Pink Floyd Dark Side sorta.After that Lightbulb etc, they get heavier and heavier,think Tool maybe....If someone could replace Rodger Waters it would be Steven Wilson,A very prolific songwriter/songwriter.Their latest "Fear of a Blank Planet"is right in R Waters territory as far as the theme goes.....You need all their albums and you will quickly find out that a very large portion are highly collectable,well over a hundred for Many."Recordings"for example $150 plus.Steven Wilson is also a master marketer.I met the Band on the Stupid Dream Tour in SF Progfest and in LA House of Blues and a in Store signing at Tower.They were Absolutly Great then and The Best Underground Band out there.They've had a cult following for years and finally on a major label the last few years.And back to probably their own label to for certain releases.Steven firmly in control of his business.And as Trippy ,Proggy and Hard Rock his Music is unless he has changed,He doesn't get high.Never has is the word.Maybe thats one reason why he is so successfull and can be in several bands at a time..I have a huge PT Collection.CD,DVD-Audio's and LP's.Stupid Dream era on back Signed while on SD tour.Steven asked why people want their nice cd covers scribbled all over,I told him his Band was going to be big and I would sell them for Big Bucks.He Laughed.Huge Prog/Psych collection also.Enjoy your PT journey.I personally like the Lightbulb Sun and Earlier stuff.I bit mellower.If I was younger I'd probably like the later stuff more,Maybe.I'm 63.JD