Mercury Living Presence

I have a few Mercury Living Presence label CDs. I've found I have an affinity for what I've heard on this label in terms of recording quality, in particular for the vintage of the original recordings. I was listening to the MLP recording of The Nutcracker recently and was semi blown away.

Does anyone else share my affinity for these recordings? Are they all equally well recorded? Which are the best?

What about the original vinyl recordings, which I have not heard. Are these any good?
128x128mapman
I have The Nutcracker on original vinyl and its very good. Also have seven others on vinyl and they are equally good, but i prefer the overall sound of RCA's Shaded Dogs and White Dogs, even though the Mercury's sound a tad more dynamic to my ears (IMHO). -Mrmitch
Mrmitch

not sure I know what series/line you are referring to exactly by "shaded and WHite Dogs".

Can you elaborate?

Thanks.
White and Shaded Dogs refer to the labels on the RCA Living Stereo recordings from back in the 50s and early 60s. Both of the dogs were white, actually, but a Shaded Dog was a dog on a shaded background, while the White Dog is a dog on the plain red background. These were the earliest of the RCA Living Stereo issues, and were much better pressings than the later Red Seal reissues of those recordings that came from RCA later in time. The early RCAs are equally prized by collectors as the Mercs; a slightly different recording technique, but equally talented recording engineers and producers. Another plus of the series was that they got to record the Chicago Symphony at the peak of its powers under Fritz Reiner.
I have a sampler of Living Presence...it is very dynamic ....to me that is what makes it so good.....sadly, most recorded music is compressed so that it can play better on mediocre home hi-fi....compression takes the life out of the music.