Clarinet Music on vinyl or CDs

I got back into playing clarinet again after a long break. I try to practice when I have free time(unfortunately not that much).

Of course with this I have renewed my interest in clarinet music as well.

Trying to buy some clarinet recordings and discover the selection especially at the stores, is pretty poor.

So far I purchased:
Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A, K622 and Clarinet Quintet in A, K581 with Stoltzman;

French Works for Clarinet and piano(Saint-Saens, Devienne, Milhaud and Poulenc Sonatas) with Sabine Meyer,

The Essential Clarinet(Stravinsky Ebony Concerto, Corigliano Clarinet Concerto, Copland Clarinet Concerto) with Stoltzman.

I like Sabine Meyer's sound better than most of the Stoltzman's stuff(too much vibrato in his playing). Also, I highly recommend this cd I mentioned above. It is excellent as far as music and her playing is outstanding.

What would you recommend as good clarinet recordings? Vinyl or CD.

Looking for interesting suggestions to buy more music.

Chamber, solo, anything that may grab my attention.

As far as classical, I listen to anything from Mozart to Shostakovich.

Thanks in advance!
128x128audphile1
Opalchip may be well be right about Michaelson's Clarinet playing....I just liked the recording that is all. I don't think I ever got skilled enough at Clarinet to recognize a great player from simply a very good one. Just my two cents...
Shadorne,
I tried to look for this cd and the only way for me to hear it is to buy it. I kind of suspected that this would be more of a recording statement than anything.
That's the reason why I didn't go crazy trying to find it.
Thanks for the recommendation though.

Lately I've been paying more attention to a performance than a recording quality when purchasing a classical cd.
I really like a good quality recording as well, but unfortunately the combo of good musicianship/recording can be tough to come by among the new or recent realeses sometimes and that mostly leaves the older recordings to be explored.

If you want to hear a very good Mozart Clarinet Concerto try Sabine Meyer. For a Clarinet Quintet, I really liked a recording with Harold Wright. Sabine Meyer also has a recording of the Quintet on EMI but I haven't heard it, although I am pretty confident it must be quiet good.

Speaking of new releases, there is an interesting CD that just hit the stores recently - "Krommer: Double Clarinet Concerto; Spohr: Clarinet Concertos Nos. 2 & 4" with Sabine Meyer and Julian Bliss. I am looking to pick it up next week.
Here is a sneak peak on youtube if you are interested.
Glad you liked the wright w serkin and the shepard on the rock -- those are two of my favorites too-- I think Wright is incredibly muiscal and his legato playing was unmatched id second rushtons seeking out ricardo morales recordings too-- ive heard hom a couple of times in person and i think he is fabulous. Carol
Carol, thanks again. You know, Wright's playing on Schubert's Shepherd on the Rock is great but I was also impressed with Benita Valente. She has a crystal clear soprano and the blend of her voice with the sound of clarinet is something really special.
A minor complaint would be about the level of hiss on that particular piece on the cd. It's a bit excessive. But not that much of a concern. Great music though.

I will make sure to check out Morales recordings.
Here's a unique one - I just picked up this independent, clarinet-centric LP at a library sale yesterday and very much like it. It's "modern" classical, but NOT modern in the form of random, irritable screeching. I'd call it "Mostly Melodic Modern". If you're into clarinet especially, it's enjoyable and unique listening IMO:

Richard Wilson (composer) approx. 1986- on the Opus 1 label, recording quality is excellent to audiophile. There's no actual album title, but tracks are:

Side 1
Line Drawings - clarinet duo
Gnomics - clarinet, oboe, flute

Side 2
Dithyramb - clarinet, oboe
Serenade - clarinet, viola, double bass

Clarinetist on all 4 pieces is Larry Guy, who has been Principal with the Joffrey Ballet, New York City Ballet, and Paul Taylor Dance Company.

You can LISTEN to a very long clip (might be the whole piece actually) of "Gnomics" here :
http://www.peermusicclassical.com/composer/composerdetail.cfm?detail=wilsonaudio

You can read quite a bit about Wilson here:
http://www.peermusicclassical.com/composer/composerdetail.cfm?detail=wilsonessay

There are a couple of these on Ebay currently with Buy It Now's.