Most Influential American Musician of All Time?

Who do you regard as the most influential (i.e., musically, not necessarily commercially) American musician of all time across all genres?

The more I learn about Louis Armstrong, the more I am persuaded that he deserves that honor.
jeffreybowman2k
Read the Book Louis Armstrong A life by Bergrand (?) was on Time s best seller list and is a jazz book wose prose and historyography is above all the others.Yes he created the INDIVIDUAL musician with his soloing.The best Jazz/Drug/Prison book is Sraight life by Art Pepper.Blue People by Leroi Jones in interesting too.But I'd say you'd need a list.Armtsrong and Bing Crosby created modern singing in 20's.Yould have to make list.Ellington,Armsrong,Charlie Parker.Miles,Elvis,Dylan,Beatles,Stones,Zepplin.Maybe the most polytheistic guy was Ray Charles who could sing and play in any bag.But it's hard to deny many of he above.Zappa was genius.As were Bernstein.......But you have to take the question in terms of idiom."Music" is just too broad.The one thing s in the Classical arena not many voices extend beyond Stravinsky in 1904.Maybe Bartok but I might not even have right century.
Chazz
I can't see how "Beatles,Stones,Zepplin" qualify as "the most influential American musician of all time".

And Bela Bartok was almost 59 when he moved to New York, which he reportedly found "alien". Well, Stravinsky was about the same age when he arrived, but then again, he became a US citizen and lived in the US for another 30 years; unlike poor Bela, who died aged 64.

You are right about the list though.

Is the book you recommend "Louis Armstrong: An Extravagant Life" by Laurence Bergreen?

Regards,
Pawlowski6132: I had doubts about the Elvis musicianship (apart from singing, of course) until I saw his '68 "comeback" video.
He was circle-jamming with a big honkin' acoustic and
was "playin' guitar just like a ringin' a bell"...
I think you are confusing "musician" with "writer".

I nominate John Philip Sousa.
Gs5556 I believe has this one right. If the question is "influential", the answer would have to be Handy based on his influence on all of the major American music forms: blues, country, jazz and rock.

It's a stretch to call classical an "American" music form. With the exception of any of the classical artists named here, pretty much all of the rest of the names can at least partially trace their roots back to Handy.