Please suggest serene, restful jazz recordings

Could you please suggest some quite, late night type jazz recordings on CD?

* Recording quality is at least as important as the music; if it isn't extremely well recorded, I wouldn't be interested.

* Instrumentals only, no vocals.

* Well recognized classic songs like "Misty", "Stardust", "Moon River", "When I Fall in Love", etc.

* No piano banging (like Oscar Peterson), only smooth, flowing piano

* No CD's that are marred by a single lousy cut.

* I'm looking for restful, background music, not something that will impress/irritate my neighbors with my audio system.

Thanks in advance for your help!
exagorazo
Second he Tord Gustavson. Also on ECM, John Taylor's "Rosslyn" and Ralph Towner's "Solo Guitar, "Ana," and "Timeline."

Finaly, John Scofield's "Quiet" on Verve.
Bill Evans Trio-Waltz for Debbie;Live at the Village Vanguard; and Moonbeams
Dave Brubeck-Late Night Brubeck and The Crossing
Charlie Haden and Kenny Barron-Night in the City
Stan Getz-Cafe Montmartre
Jim Brock-Tropic Affair (Latiny but smooth)
Getz/Gilberto
Keith Jarrett-The Melody at Night With You
Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage

...for starters. BTW the TGT-The Ground, mentioned above is excellent also...haven't heard "Changing Places".

These don't have the "classics" you mentioned. I don't know where you would find instrumental versions only of these on a good recording. These are all great smooth Jazz recordings, however.
Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden - Beyond The Missouri Sky (Short Stories)

Look no further. Everyone needs to have this record whether you think you like jazz or not. I have and like most of the records listed above - but none convey "nighttime" or "peacefulness" as this one does IMO. The songs are mostly old and classics - though not as recognizable as Misty but they will grow on you.

From Amazon review: This subtle, sublime collaboration finds bassist Charlie Haden and guitarist Pat Metheny crafting bejewelled chamber duets that transcend genre. Haden and Metheny forge a lyrical, mostly acoustic style at once intimate and expansive. Both pare their playing to a Zen-like economy, focusing on a purity of tone, clarity of harmony, and counterpoint to achieve a tender lyricism.

From a user review on Barnes&Noble.com: This album is easily the most-appreciated album (cd) that i have ever played for friends and family. To the person, every one that i've played this for has appreciated it, and wanted a copy of their own. While it strikes at first as background-like in tone, a closer listen reveals gorgeous warmths of peace and reflection. You can't help but feel appreciative and evocative as the beautiful melodies and colors cause your feelings to echo the sound. You'll feel peaceful, calm, and positive.

We are listening to it right now because in fact my son has used tracks from this as his nighttime lullaby album almost every night of his life. It is not "jazzy" per se or "night clubby" - it is much more pure and harmonious and restful. Took me a few listenings to appreciate it.
Piano banging like Oscar Peterson? You don't deserve jazz my friend. Seems what you are looking for is elevator music. I recommend a visit to Walmart.