DEADHEADS...TOP 5 SHOWS.....

Amg lists DP 4 as a top 5 pick amongst heads...Ill throw in dp 12, what about Barton College, Cornell, Lousiville 74,Veneta 72 ,etc....
128x128phasecorrect
What I was reffering to was the 4 CD Filmore '71 show on Arista.But Fishwater is right.Look at the more than 30 Discks Picks now out and how heavly documented the year 1977 was.A true rennaissance for them.Man now that I see what's out and how many great sets are availible (lopok at thier discography on the web site I use most foten AM either www.allmusicguide.com or www.allmovie.com and you can see how many great sets are oput their from different periods.But 69-71,Europe 72-73 (as keith and Donna joined) to 1977 thier are hgreat peak era's not shows for me.And you can find gems all the way up to thier 30th and final year.Man now i want to put all my jazz aside and listen to them and Tuna and see when Zimmy will get back from Europe.Only thing that is said for me is as good as Phil and Freinds might be at times Ratdog (Bobby's band) never was as of course.I just wish that sans Capitain Trips that the rest of the boys could play together as a unit.Let's wish them good health and hope that 2015 will be a 50th reunion of rockin geezers that will knock everybody for a loop and the Gen X and y'ers will tell their grandkids about.Hey the Grammy's finally got arounf to giving the most sucessfull touring band in hostory and lifetime achievement award.Let's hope that in these time of war and ploitical deceit that at least the goodwill if not the efficacy or "The heads" (and I saw my Mass Govenor Weld at a show in '93) aren't sneered at cnaically and the technofreindly kids of today who as a group might be lcking and sentiment political or oitherwise,among them are youngsters who are results oriented and may bring some of those sentiments to fruition fi we are going to survive as a species.
Oiko Oiko
Chazz_
Your first is always the most special...first Dead show, first date. They both happened the same November night in '73 at the Denver Coliseum. Once we made our way through the "crush" and found a seat, we noticed the stage. The Wall of Sound seemed to ascend to heaven. Opened with Me and My Uncle and the ocean of sound was amazing. They played most of Europe '72, the best songs the Dead play, IMHO - blues, country, rockabilly, rock. Pig especially stood out, played the mouth harp like his life depended on it. Wailed on a quite small keyboard. The Dead, particularly Jerry, loved playing Red Rocks, and all the shows there were magical, as well - due in part to the setting, the vibe, the audiance and the band. A very spiritual place...and, of course, we did our best to conjure those spirits when we went.
Rballdude-
Are sure it was November '73? Pig Pen died in March of 1973.

Europe '72 tour was one of Pig's last (April 1972) as he was already quite ill by then.....

My first show was Watkins Glen "Summer Jam" in July of 1973 and PP was gone then.
I agree with Rballdude, your first show (early 87' for me)is always the most special, but for some reason, I found my shows on the "ten's" (i.e. 10th, 20, 30th, etc.)were always lightning. In regards to top 5, 77' shows are always there of course, but, when I discovered the Dead, it was the last run (April 71) at the Fillmore East that always did it for me and still does.....
I really like 6/9/77 (Winterland) and 10/17/83 (Lake Placid).

Lots of good stuff in '73 and '77...