Bob Dylan finally makes sense....

In a recent interview Bob Dylan called music recordings "Atrocious" and went on to add that no good music has been made in the last 20 years, he went on to add that downloads should be free because the music is not worth anything anyway.
I have never really liked Dylan except for a few songs, but it is nice to see someone take a stand on how badly most music is recorded.
chadnliz
So I guess he will donate all the money he has made from his music over the last 20 years to a good charity then?
The past 20 years has seen the onset of a cultural dark ages. Anyone disputing this simply has not been following the Whitney biennials of the past 20, maybe 40 years. It is obvious that pop/conventional tastes have deteriorated to the level of "digesting with the stars". Be that as it may, in the world of high art, particularly 'classical' or high culture music (which includes forms of improvised music such as some jazz, IMO), the case id quite different. There has been a tremendous amount of achievement in the past 20 years, despite its difficultly in being recorded, and recorded well. Dylan was speaking about his area of knowledge directly: rock/folk/pop AMERICAN music. He still speaks with authority about american culture, and knows it better than almost anyone. However do not think that this applies to the high culture of the world in a more general sense.

In the past 20 years art has fallen to the realm of the people, instead of being a tool to raise people up to the level of high art.

RE:

In a recent interview Bob Dylan called music recordings "Atrocious" and went on to add that no good music has been made in the last 20 years, he went on to add that downloads should be free because the music is not worth anything anyway.
I have never really liked Dylan except for a few songs, but it is nice to see someone take a stand on how badly most music is recorded.

I highly doubt that dylan is an obsessive audiophile type who splits hairs about recording quality, about vtf, azimuth or things like this. My memory is a bit fuzzy but i remember reading about him exploring music and having a stack of cassettes on a table and exploring music like this! I would venture to say as a dylan fan that dylan is interested in "the song", how it hits him viscerally, whether from vinyl, cassette, am radio or 8 track.

When he lays down tracks its usually very quickly, the first or second take! Sometimes if he feels the song should come from a different angle he might go back and try it a different way but for the most part they are recorded quickly without alot of fuss.

It's nice to see someone not obsess about sound quality!

"music is not worth anything anyway" I'm sure his assets would show just how much it isn't worth. I think the old duffer is talking out his ass.
How pissed would he be if he missed one of his royalty checks? Anyone can say anything but reality is usually a bit different.
When the war is Viet-Nam and civil rights violence ended, his 15 minutes were up. He had a very small window. I think his latest outburst is driven by envy and sour grapes, because now, there are a lot of people with little or no talent making tons of money.
I have several of his albums, but seldom play them. He seems dated.