Bob Dylan finally makes sense....

In a recent interview Bob Dylan called music recordings "Atrocious" and went on to add that no good music has been made in the last 20 years, he went on to add that downloads should be free because the music is not worth anything anyway.
I have never really liked Dylan except for a few songs, but it is nice to see someone take a stand on how badly most music is recorded.
chadnliz
Audiofeil I'm not sure what you might have said, but I think it's more critics that deem the aging musician irrelevant. I was thinking of many who have condemned artists for supposedly not putting out material as good as their 'last LP.'

I'm not sure that there is a critic anywhere that has ever really added anything to the musical landscape! BUT maybe some of the earlier comments got me thinking along those lines...

Should any one of us be turned away from our jobs because we are aging, or not as handsome/pretty as we were in our prime, whenever that was... I'm still waiting. How did I get to be over the hill without ever making it to the top???
So yesterday I saw Dylan pimping IPODS on TV, is this a bit of a Hypacritical move on his part?
To take a stand against bad recordings and then market the Ipod seems a bit odd, maybe he smoked to many joints to not understand that as long as the IPOD is marketed by folks like himself nothing is going to change.
No matter how you feel about my opinion I think Bob Jumped the Shark and sold out.
Nrchy,
Good comments. I've been collecting music since the late 1950's. I still purchase many of the newest releases including the stuff from Dylan, Gabriel, Young et.al. Much of the current music from older artists is excellent; some even exceeds, IMO, quality of their earlier work. However, that is not the case with all artists. I will single out The Who here for argument's sake. There, and in my opinion again, has been nothing substantial released from these guys in over 20 years and now they are going on tour with only 2 original members to rehash "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "See Me, Feel Me"? Sorry Rog and Pete, stay home. Unfortunately, The Who is not alone.
I'm not a critic but I know what I like. I've seen most major bands, except the Beatles, multiple times and as painful as it may seem, we can't go home. Although it might be nostalgic watching some of these folks perform, it is often painful watching fat old bald guys trying to recapture fled youth.
To address your question, we should not be turned away from our jobs because we are aging. However, I would expect to be turned away if the quality of my work was unacceptable.
I appreciate your clarification. Thank you.

The iPod and quality of recordings are completely seperate issues.
Many people have multi-thousand dollar systems are very interested in the quality of recordings but will use an iPod.
As for Dylan marketing iPods do you think the vast majority of younger folk even know who he is?
A high end system and iPod can live in tandem-they do for many folks. I love my iPod.
Dylan never made any comment about sound quality of MP3's etc.-he did make a very vague comment about how CD's sound in comparison to what he heard in the studio but as I've stated before it is so vague as to be almost irrelevant.
I rather suspect as a teenager listening to distant radio stations Bob wasn't questioning the mids, highs and bass quality.
Still a vague comment has got Audiophiles foaming about the mouth and his appearance in an Ad has them screaming "Judas".

Forty years on and things ain't changed much-people still screaming about their sets of values, their ideals and their perceptions at a man who simply couldn't function if he had to consider that type of crap.

If your upset because Dylan has promoted iPods then fine-it's not the end of the world, his music remains as it is.