Best Rock Drummers

I've seen most of them and by far the two that stand out are Neil Peart of Rush and Ceasar Z. of Golden Earring. For non-rock I would say it's a no brainer with Buddy Rich.
zar
Nice call on Heidorn, Notec. I remember when he used to damp the cymbal with his foot, playing for Uncle Tupelo. And a regular and very friendly guy. John
Check this out this out

Although everyone tends to focus on fills and athletic solos the reality is that the main job of a drummer is to groove. It is much harder to achieve a groove instantly and consistently than it sounds - few can do it as well as the guy above.

Here is another great drummer but he often relies on a click track Dennis

Anyway these are both examples of groove masters and that is really, IMHO, what a drummer is paid for and hat defines a great drummer - and NOT the antics you see in drum solo.
Most of my "A" list has aready been cited here, but three guys who've had my attention of late because they're on records that have recently been in heavy rotation in my home/car and haven't yet been mentioned:

(Two are at the "edges" of rock, but I think they qualify.)

Winston Grennan of Kid Creole. He is often credited (along with Carlton Barrett) for developing the one drop rythm that - essentially - defines reggae. His playing is great, but it's sometimes lost in the mix because the band also features a percussionist and a vibrophonist making it a bit hard to quickly identify who is contributing what from that fantastic rythm section.

Taku Hirano of Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham. He's the guy pounding that Japanese War Drum during Tusk. He couples interesting ideas, power and a machine-like precision that brings Bruford to mind. Again, he sometimes gets (literally) lost behind Mick Fleetwood (has he been mentioned yet?) because his kit is set up off-stage at Mac concerts.

Jean Yves Tola of 16 Horsepower. Just an eccentric player and his drumming really defines the band's sound.

Marty
Post removed