cello music

I listen to mostly rock and Jazz...but I downloaded a song by Yo Yo Ma on Itunes just to check it out. I loved it. Can someone please recommend some vinyl or cd from this artist or other good cello recordings

csmithbarc
Csmithbarc,
Try the Beethoven Complete Music for Piano and Cello, Schiff and Perenyi, ECM 1819/20 Wonderful music, recordings, and performances! I like these even better than the Ma/Ax recordings.

Also check out Alban Gerhardt's website. You will be able to hear short excerpts from a variety of works. Gerhardt is in my opinion a phenomenal talent whom I hope will be recorded more frequently. I eagerly await his new recording of various Shostakovich & Schnittke works which releases tomorrow.

Also, Jsujo is on target in drawing your attention to the Viola Da Gamba. It is a wonderful instrument, which was used frequently in Baroque and pre-baroque music. This instrument was used to wonderful effect by Heinrich Schutz in his choral music for those that appreciate such music.

I'd recommend the Haydn Cello concertos. Haydns are easy to enjoy. Yo Yo Ma has recorded them (they are ADD). A terrific recording in my opinion is by cellist Steven Isserlis (DDD). For 'less' instruments you might like the Beethoven works for piano and cello. There are many great recordings.. I've got a few of these and a newer one I like is Alfred Brendel/Adrian Brendel. I also 2nd the Starker Bach. To save money, I like the suggestion of using the library before you buy. Good luck.