Interconnects Signal Path

What is the rationale for interconnect cable manufactures to indicate the �signal path� direction on their cables? What happens if the cables are installed in the opposite direction? Would that affect the sound quality, and if so, when the direction is corrected, how long would it take for the interconnects to �recover� from the improper installation and produce good sound?
kisawyer
There is not a direction to the sound as music is more of a push pull kind of thing.

The arrows usually indicate what side the independent shield is grounded to. The reasoning is that the shields should all end up at the same ground which in most cases would be your preamp.
There is not a direction to the sound as music is more of a push pull kind of thing.

The arrows usually indicate what side the independent shield is grounded to. The reasoning is that the shields should all end up at the same ground which in most cases would be your preamp.
04-11-13: Jjrenman

Is that the only reason?

If yes, from personal listening experience?

From what you have read on audio forums?

Are you a cable designer?
Jea48's suggested prior posts on this subject are a must read and answers my question. Thanks. Final analysis...listen to your ears.
Actually, music is not a push pull thing, not where interconnects are concerned. You know, what with DC and all. With my Analysis Plus interconnects, for example, the best sound is obtained when the cables are connected in the opposite direction from that recommended by Analysis Plus which is based on how the shield is attached.
I did not say that was the only reason. Just that, IME, it was usually an indication as to which side the separate shield wire was grounded to.

In my designs I have stayed away from a separate shield or drain.

Lastly I'd not be at all surprised if it does make a difference for some little known reason. If you have a favorite "directional" cable what is it, for I am always willing to try new things.