How do you organize your LPs?

So I've accumulated upwards of 3,000 records and storage is getting out of hand. I currently have a built-in that holds about 150 of my most listened to. I have 12 Sleeve City boxes that hold 60 each. The rest (a majority) are in other boxes, cabinets, book shelves, etc.
I am planning some cabinetry that will hold ALL my records with room for additional. My question is how do you arrange them? Alphabetical? Genre or some hybrid. I can't continue to look through 500 records to find the one I am looking for.
zenblaster
Whatever works for you is good, but a sign of a rational filing system is whether a third party can find a record and/or put away a record without opening the field manual.

I once saw a film documentary about youth car culture. Young guys, and they were all guys, spending much money on their cars and hanging out in parking lots with the hoods open so you could see and appreciate the custom engine work. One guy was asked "Why?" and his response was interesting. He said, "if your car's together, then your life's together". I guess the same thing could be said about audiophiles and their record collections.
I still haven't decided how but I did find this http://www.discogs.com/
It seems like a good system for building a database the only problem is it's going to take forever.

I think I am going to divide by genre for starters but I can't decide on chronological or alphabetical from there.
08-01-13: Onhwy61
Whatever works for you is good, but a sign of a rational filing system is whether a third party can find a record and/or put away a record without opening the field manual.
Makes perfect sense and funny.