Separates w/internal phono vs Integrated + phono

Given the same amount of money say $8-10k what is the better way to go? Separates with an internal phono or an integrated with a stand alone phono? Anyone done reasonable comparisons, is it just trade offs or is there a clear winner? A really good phono can make a huge difference but can it fully shine through an integrated?
128x128musichead
@Jmcgrogan2, what are you running these days? It seems like I recall you being into VAC?
I currently own a Cary SLP-98P F1 w/ MC phono stage, which I use with my VPI table/Dynavector XX-2 mk II cartridge. Amplifier is a Coda Model 11, 100 wpc of Class A solid state. This is after much downsizing, at my peak a few years back I was using a ARC Ref 3 preamp, BAT VK-75SE amp with mods from Bob Backert and a Klyne 7PX5.0 phono stage.

During the downsizing, I owned a VAC Avatar Super for a couple of years. The VAC came amazingly close to the sound of my best separates, and my current setup is not as good. Which is why I am considering selling my separates and looking to go back to a tube integrated amp at this time.
Been doing some reading on the net and the VAC Avatar Super and Rega Osiris sound like outstanding integrated amps and trounced many high end separates. Anyone heard the Acoustic Arts Power I? Any other contenders?
I owned the VAC Avatar Super as well, it is indeed excellent. The new VAC integrated which I auditioned is very nice as well but more expensive at around $10K. I now have shindo separates which outperform the VAC (in many but not all ways) but I think that it's more likely related to system matching and synergy rather than separate vs. integrated.
American way: The best of the best is overkill over over the overoverkill over the other overkill will most certainly work the best. Also try to shop for the units that have power supply in the separate box each including amp. Also use separate power conditioning for EACH unit that will give you a benefit of eveneven larger isoisoisolation. More boxes will bring more music!