Fremer's review of the Anna cartridge

Fremer reviews the $8499 cartridge very positively, but it takes three different samples of the cartridge for him to get there. The first sample exhibited "an incompatibility between the adhesives used and the elastomer of which the cartridge's damper is made." Fremer notes "[e]vidently, however, this problem didn't affect every Anna that left the factory." Wow, what a relief. In the second sample, apparently "some the glue that secures the stylus in the cantilever had dripped." The third sample, after 100 hrs of break-in finally delivered. Fremer suggests buying and using an USB microscope as part of the cartridge buying process.

Does anyone else think this is absolutely nuts? It seems to me, at this price level, every single cartridge should be absolutely perfect. Haven't Ortofon heard of quality control? This also applies to Lyra whose $9500 Atlas cartridge had the stylus affixed to the cantilever at an angle that made it virtually impossible to get the SRA of 92 degrees.
actusreus
Nandric hit the nail on the head. Up until a few years ago, I took the purist approach; if the cartridge needed retip or repair, it needed to go back ONLY to the original maker, regardless of cost. However, at present I have done a "one-eighty"; I would happily use Sound Smith in the US or any number of others to rebuild my cartridges. Not only is the cost markedly lower but also the repaired product might be as good or better than the original, such is the quality of the work done by SS, Axel, etc. (There is some element of chance involved, and the option of a trade-in/trade-up is also to be considered ahead of rebuild, IMO.)

After further thought, I wonder whether the Ortofon Anna debacle occurred because of the very novel way in which the cartridge body is manufactured. Ortofon seems to have gotten very experimental in that realm. First, the A90 broke some new ground, and now the Anna adds another complex wrinkle to constructing the body. Moreover, they've also produced that very novel SPU-type. Perhaps they've strained their resources. But, as someone else mentioned, they were really remiss in sending a defective product, nay, TWO defective products in succession, to Fremer of all people. That is kind of scary.
Dear Actusreaus: Last June I received this comment from a very good friend:

+++++ " With respect to the MC Anna, Ortofon experienced problems with the adhesive that they used to secure the damper and will only ship when the problem is resolved. " +++++

seems to me that today they not fixed at all.

I own, owned and heard almost all Ortofon top cartridges and I can say that the Ortofon QC normally was second to none.

Agree that at the Ana asking price the cartridge build quality must be first rate/excellent and no excuse about.

Now, on the Fremer suggestion about the USB microscope well this is a suggestion that has nothing to do with this cartridge or any other one other than to have an additional toy.

That SRA of 92 degrees he is self promoting is only a Fremer number because 90 0r 89 could be good numbers to start. As J.Carr pointed out there is no single standard about and certainly 92 degrees is not that standard but only a number to start with as could be other number, so don't get crazy about that 92 degrees. At the ned trust in your music knowledge level through your own ears and not on that " 92 degrees " that means almost nothing.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Dear Lewm: ++++" However, at present I have done a "one-eighty"; I would happily use Sound Smith in the US or any number of others to rebuild my cartridges. Not only is the cost markedly lower but also the repaired product might be as good or better than the original, " +++++

with out of production cartridges I could agree with you but on current top and pricey LOMC cartridges my advise is to go with the manufacturer that's the only one that knows exactly how to fix it wit out changing its quality performance and in the other side normally the cartridge designers makes small improvements on the original design that they don't give publicity but that they affix in your cartridge when the re-tipped works ends. The re-tippers can't do it because they don't know nothing about those cartridge up dates.

Other important thing is that with some cartridge parts only the original manufacturer has access to them and the re-tipper can't do nothing about but to fix your cartridge with " lesser " parts or even with out change the parts but left it inside even if needs to be changed.

No, I don't think that if I was an Atlas, Ana or a Goldfinger owner I will send to Alex, SS or the one re-tipper you name it to fix it.

Well, that's me.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul,

I do understand what you're saying and you make a good point. I'm simply bemoaning the fact that apparently there has never been A standard for cutter heads. I find it as frustrating as befuddling. And indeed it means that only individual evaluation and close critical listening record by record can result in an optimal setting that renders best sonic results. That to me is perhaps not unacceptable as an audiophile, but very disheartening nonetheless, and not something I ever considered getting into vinyl. I cannot possibly imagine spending months if not years adjusting the VTA to change the SRA to find out which setting sounds best for a particular record in my collection. Perhaps those with tonearms allowing on-the-fly VTA adjustment might find it manageable, but to me it is just not feasible, and frankly, well, nuts.
Raul, I kind of agree with you on cartridges at that price level. But I am not so sure (any longer) that there is much that is proprietary regarding cantilevers and the styli that are attached thereto. It seems there are only a few businesses in the world that make these as replacement parts, and even the high end brands may be reliant upon them. Ortofon may be an exception, if indeed the replicant 100 and previous replicant styli are unique in shape. Also, each high end cartridge maker may separately contract with these few sources of parts, for exclusive production of a particular cantilever/stylus that is then not made available to independent re-tippers. And too, if the cartridge needs a total rebuild, for example, if its been stepped on or otherwise physically damaged, then yes, obviously it must go back to its maker.

I guess I have lost faith in the price/performance gospel, which is why I have become more cavalier about cartridge repair.