Best redbook cd-only player ?

I have a substantial collection of redbook cd's. I don't foresee adding SACD's, nor am I interested in servers or USB connectivity. But I do need to replace my 17-year-old two-box combo.

Is anyone else stuck in the past also (smile) who can suggest a high-resolution, musical cd-only player ? It's hard to justify paying thousands more for functionality I won't ever use.

thanks,
-john

dr_john
If you are on a budget my suggestion would be an Emotiva ERC-2 CDP. It is built like a tank and Emotiva has a great warranty as well as customer service. They also have a 30 day trial period. Another combination I liked that I used in a headphone set-up was a Cambridge Audio CD30-S feeding a Cambridge Audio DACMagic with a McCormack Wonderlink Digital Coax cable.
I am getting the best redbook reproduction I have ever heard with the following
Audio Note CDT Two/II transport
Audio Note Dac 2.1B
This combo plays only redbook but I have heard nothing better
Alan
The rest of my system: Shindo tubed pre and VAC Phi 300 amp. So a tubed DAC might be too much of a good thing.
There are many excellent choices listed above. The Ayre C-5xe CD player is another excellent choice priced at $6,000. I own the Ayre CX-7eMP CD player priced at $3,500 and it is very good. The Luxman cd players, D-05, D-06 and the D-08 might be more players to look at. Buying a CD player is not an easy process and I am hoping you have a chance to listen before you buy any of the above.