Any impressions of CHORD or Mytek DACs?

Was wondering if any owners of Chord QuteHD or Mytek Stereo 192/DSD/DAC Dac's could give me some feedback on how these perform?
old_marantz
The QuteHD arrived yesterday and my first impression along with the OR4 was that it had a HUGE soundstage, very three dimensional and a more intimate/realistic sound than what I'm used to hearing with my Empirical Overdrive SE dac. Only down side is that the top end is a tad glarey on some female vocals. I just ordered the MCRU power supply and I hope that it helps.
Hi Again Erndog - and of course anyone else following this

A guy out here in Australia got a linear PS for it and here is what he posted:

After connecting the Chord to the linear PSU I was shocked by the difference. When I said a few posts ago that I doubted that the fundamental character of the dac would change by replacing the PSU, I was wrong. It now sounds like a completely different dac. There is no longer an emphasis on the treble, and the brittle sound has now disappeared. The midrange has filled out and the tonal balance now sounds full and natural. The smoothness and resolution is still there, but it has lost the aggressive, bright edge it had and is now sounding very sweet indeed. Tonally, it is much closer to the Bel Canto, and marginally surpasses it in resolution of detail and depth of bass. However, the BC still has a more substantial sound, with instruments have more body and presence. The QuteHD sounds marginally thinner and less substantial by comparison. However, the differences between these two dacs are now much smaller. With the stock wall-wart, I doubt I could have lived with the QuteHD, but with a good quality linear PSU (again, thanks AJ) that position has been reversed.

I think you will like what it does especially when combined with the Off-Ramp.

Thanks
Bill
Hi Erndog

I found the top-end slightly bland and a bit dry without the Off-Ramp but with the Off-Ramp it became a lot sweeter and more detailed - but one person there, actually the manufacturer of my PDX DAC, commented it had a lot more HF energy to his ears - but others there didn't notice it.

That particular comparison was without an upgraded power supply - it makes a big leap with a better power supply - but I didn't try the USB, OFF-Ramp comparison with the better supply - it was done at a GTG where everything was driven by the Off-Ramp.

Just heard from the guy building my battery supply - it didn't last long enough and had to go for a linear one - but has found one that he thinks is up there with the Hines - we will see.

Thanks
Bill
Bill,
Interesting hearing your friends impression with adding a power supply to the QuteHD. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it helps smooth out the treble. I'll post my findings here.

Last night I tried the Overdrive with the OR4 and Wow! It took it to a whole new level of resolution and clarity. There was some smearing that I didn't even know was present that got removed with the OR4. The OR4 makes everything sound more full bodied which I really like.

Thanks again Bill for pointing me towards the QuteHD. I'm thinking its going to be a keeper.

Ernie
Received the MCRUs power supply and have been comparing the Chord with and without for the past week. When this linear PS is in play, there is definitely more `there' there. That is, depending on the recording, it is that much more gorgeous, down-and-dirty, thumping, airy, huge (soundstage-wise) etc. than with the stock psu. Even though It is still fairly early I doubt that I will regret purchasing this 2-box affair, even though it is a bit more $$ than similar alternatives. It definitely takes the already great QuteHD up a couple notches in what, to me, are musically important ways....