What speakers should I consider around $5000?

I'm ready to move on from my current system: Bryston 4BST, Proceed Pre, Revel Performa F30's and Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC. I'm planning to keep the DAC, and swap the Bryston and Proceed out for a decent integrated SS amp (just don't want to "do" tubes, even though I think they can sound great). I like the relatively deep bass of the Revels, but they can sound very bloated without VERY expensive cabling.

I recently heard the following speakers and enjoyed them, but wanted to get some feedback on these and suggestions for others in about the $5k retail price range. I'm open to a used speaker too. Here's the list: Martin Logan Theos, Von Gaylord VG-8, Salk Veracity HT2-TL, Wilson Audio Duette (yes, I know this is dramatically more expensive, but I liked the sound). Also, wondered about the new Revel F308s.

And another issue to consider is WAF....she's HATED the look of the Revels since I first got them 13 years ago. Something a bit less monolithic would be great.

As a separate but related question, I've previewed a Karan Acoustic KA i180 MkII and thought it was great, but if I go down that route, it'll limit my speaker budget to some degree.

I'm getting confused by all the options, so I thought I'd ask for some advice to get me some clarity.

Thanks.

Matt
mwsl
OK, I'll try to answer everybody's posts in one response. Thanks for getting back to me and engaging in this conversation.

First, I did list my current system at the top of my post. I will list cables here in just a minute.

Second, aside from the Revel F308's, I did listen to all of the speakers I listed in my post at the CA Audio Show (my first show......fun, but overwhelming).

Third, yes the Ayre is USB only. I use an Auraliti PK90 USB server connected to a generic hard drive filled with uncompressed FLAC files in a variety of sampling rates ranging from 44/16 up to DSD files.

Fourth, I'm currently borrowing a bunch of cables, and, frankly, these cables have made a huge difference, but they would be crazy expensive to buy (representing something like 100% of the cost of my system). Here's the list: WyWires Silver speaker cables, Wywires Platinum IC between Amp & Pre, Wywires Silver power cord to Amp, Wywires Blue power cable to Pre, Harmonic Tech AC-11 power cord to DAC, Harmonic Tech IC (Magic Link 2) between DAC and Pre, Grover Huffman power cord to Auraliti server, Wireworld Platinum Starlight between DAC and server. With these cables in place, the system sounds better than it ever has.

Fifth, for space reasons, and cable costs, I'm really wanting to shift to an integrated SS amp. Also, my Bryston is "acting up" and only has a couple more years of warranty left. The Proceed Pre is also manifesting some sporadic problems. These are just old pieces and I think it time to modernize a bit.

Sixth, as I said, the WAF factor of the Revel F30's has been perenially low; since she's willing for us to invest in some new gear, thought I'd pay more attention to this issue.

Seventh, we listen to a wide variety of music, but primarily electronic Jazz (e.g., Pat Metheny and Bela Fleck), acoustic solo piano and guitar in a variety of genres, symphonic music, and good old rock n' roll (mostly from 70's, although the occasional modern pop song will grab out attention).

Finally, the issue we both noticed with the Revels (and much improved with the thousands of dollars of cables listed above) is two-fold: bloated bass (recording and cable dependent), lack of integration of drivers. You can literally hear (at the right volume and with right music) the physical separation of the woofer from the tweeter/mid "module." It's very disconcerting. We like relatively deep and full bass, but tight. We also are soundstage addicts....the bigger the better. Detail that's musical is also high on our desired traits.

So, that's the scoop, with as much detail as I could manage.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
A couple more things....

I looked at the specs of the Dynaudio C1....and am concerned it wouldn't have enough bass energy for the types of music we most listen to. Looked at the specs of the Von Schweikert VR-33.....it's actually bigger and more monolithic than my current Revels ;-) but I did like the specs. FYI, heard the flagship VS's at the show and was impressed by the sound. Unfortunately, i don't think the size of these will fly.

Any particular thoughts on the Martin Logans? I almost bought a pair of electrostats instead of the Revels years ago, but the lack of bass was a real issue.

Matt
If you consider Martin Logan you will need to buy the model(s) with a self powered woofer if accurate bass below 40hz is a must. A box speaker with a relatively small footprint and bass claimed to be accurate down to 30hz is the Gershman Acoustics-Sonogram. I was considering buying the Sonogram but the retail $ jumped from $4400 to $5495 seemingly overnight(lol). I tried contacting Gershman Acoustics if the Sonogram had been revised with no avail. Even with the price increase the Sonogram still represents good value and could be what your looking for.
If you are thinking stats check out King Sound . Disclaimer- You may see my pair of King Sound King up for sale soon . I am moving and need to downsize to bookshelfs. They are more lifelike than Martin Logan's or magnepan's . Read the reviews on them .
The new info was helpful. I can maybe give you a few ideas on how to proceed. The first is you have to decide on if you are going to buy a new speaker based on how it looks or on how it sounds. You can't really make an exception on that one. If you want great bass and integration of all the drivers (or use panels), you are going to have to get a big speaker. If you have a lot more than $5000, you can buy your around that problem, at least to some extent.

I see you starting to fall into the cable trap. I believe that the super expensive cables make the differences you say they do. Cables can make a very big difference. On the other hand, I see 2 components that are possibly broken and some questionable decisions overall in you component choices. Do cables last. If you do a good job matching all of your components, cable choice becomes easy (and a lot less expensive). Its very common to find that very expensive cables that make a big difference in SQ, like the ones you are currently borrowing, actually sound bad in a well matched system.

Before I go any further, I'll make a suggestion and see what you think of it. Looking at your system, I don't see your speakers as your weakest component. If I had your system, and it were my choice, I would do 3 things. 1. Send your amp back to Bryston and have them fix it. Its not the last word in any one area, but its a good sounding amp that has a ton of power. It will sound good with a wide variety of components. You can get something better, but keep it for now. 2. Get rid of your current preamp and upgrade. That may sound like a strange recommendation, but the preamp is without question, the most overlooked component in an audio system and its just as important as any other piece. Without a good preamp, you will NEVER get your system sounding right. That's how important it is. Since you already have an Ayre DAC, an ideal choice would be an Ayre K-5. Making a change like that will completely transform the way your system sounds. Even if you change nothing else. 3. Here's another odd recommendation. Given your loaner cables, you probably know some people that have some pretty nice gear to lend out. See if you can't get your hands on a good CD player. I think you should compare it directly to your current PC/DAC type setup. You can get great sound going this route, but its new and there are many ways you can go wrong and probably not know it. All you need to do is see if your current source is competitive with a good CD player. If it is, that's fine. If not, you need to fool with it until you get results that are equal, and hopefully better.