What speakers should I consider around $5000?

I'm ready to move on from my current system: Bryston 4BST, Proceed Pre, Revel Performa F30's and Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC. I'm planning to keep the DAC, and swap the Bryston and Proceed out for a decent integrated SS amp (just don't want to "do" tubes, even though I think they can sound great). I like the relatively deep bass of the Revels, but they can sound very bloated without VERY expensive cabling.

I recently heard the following speakers and enjoyed them, but wanted to get some feedback on these and suggestions for others in about the $5k retail price range. I'm open to a used speaker too. Here's the list: Martin Logan Theos, Von Gaylord VG-8, Salk Veracity HT2-TL, Wilson Audio Duette (yes, I know this is dramatically more expensive, but I liked the sound). Also, wondered about the new Revel F308s.

And another issue to consider is WAF....she's HATED the look of the Revels since I first got them 13 years ago. Something a bit less monolithic would be great.

As a separate but related question, I've previewed a Karan Acoustic KA i180 MkII and thought it was great, but if I go down that route, it'll limit my speaker budget to some degree.

I'm getting confused by all the options, so I thought I'd ask for some advice to get me some clarity.

Thanks.

Matt
mwsl

Showing 10 responses by mwsl

OK, I'll try to answer everybody's posts in one response. Thanks for getting back to me and engaging in this conversation.

First, I did list my current system at the top of my post. I will list cables here in just a minute.

Second, aside from the Revel F308's, I did listen to all of the speakers I listed in my post at the CA Audio Show (my first show......fun, but overwhelming).

Third, yes the Ayre is USB only. I use an Auraliti PK90 USB server connected to a generic hard drive filled with uncompressed FLAC files in a variety of sampling rates ranging from 44/16 up to DSD files.

Fourth, I'm currently borrowing a bunch of cables, and, frankly, these cables have made a huge difference, but they would be crazy expensive to buy (representing something like 100% of the cost of my system). Here's the list: WyWires Silver speaker cables, Wywires Platinum IC between Amp & Pre, Wywires Silver power cord to Amp, Wywires Blue power cable to Pre, Harmonic Tech AC-11 power cord to DAC, Harmonic Tech IC (Magic Link 2) between DAC and Pre, Grover Huffman power cord to Auraliti server, Wireworld Platinum Starlight between DAC and server. With these cables in place, the system sounds better than it ever has.

Fifth, for space reasons, and cable costs, I'm really wanting to shift to an integrated SS amp. Also, my Bryston is "acting up" and only has a couple more years of warranty left. The Proceed Pre is also manifesting some sporadic problems. These are just old pieces and I think it time to modernize a bit.

Sixth, as I said, the WAF factor of the Revel F30's has been perenially low; since she's willing for us to invest in some new gear, thought I'd pay more attention to this issue.

Seventh, we listen to a wide variety of music, but primarily electronic Jazz (e.g., Pat Metheny and Bela Fleck), acoustic solo piano and guitar in a variety of genres, symphonic music, and good old rock n' roll (mostly from 70's, although the occasional modern pop song will grab out attention).

Finally, the issue we both noticed with the Revels (and much improved with the thousands of dollars of cables listed above) is two-fold: bloated bass (recording and cable dependent), lack of integration of drivers. You can literally hear (at the right volume and with right music) the physical separation of the woofer from the tweeter/mid "module." It's very disconcerting. We like relatively deep and full bass, but tight. We also are soundstage addicts....the bigger the better. Detail that's musical is also high on our desired traits.

So, that's the scoop, with as much detail as I could manage.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
A couple more things....

I looked at the specs of the Dynaudio C1....and am concerned it wouldn't have enough bass energy for the types of music we most listen to. Looked at the specs of the Von Schweikert VR-33.....it's actually bigger and more monolithic than my current Revels ;-) but I did like the specs. FYI, heard the flagship VS's at the show and was impressed by the sound. Unfortunately, i don't think the size of these will fly.

Any particular thoughts on the Martin Logans? I almost bought a pair of electrostats instead of the Revels years ago, but the lack of bass was a real issue.

Matt
Wow, so much great and helpful info. Again, I will try to comment to as much as I can in one post.

Interestingly, I have listened to the Ayre K-5 with the Revel F-30's and the Ayre QB-9. It sounded terrific with relatively inexpensive cabling. VERY emotionally engaging. But, again, I really wish to simplify my life with a good integrated.

I can, and will, listen to the Revel F208's. And yes, I did hear that the 308's were cancelled. Interestingly, they are a bit taller than the F-30's, but the shape is much more.....umm, sculpted and may have much great WAF.

I had a Resolution Audio CD player prior to switching over to an exclusively digital front end. I did alot of side by side comparisons before I let go of my CD player. While it wasn't a clear cut victory, the digital front end was at least on par with most recordings......and that was before I got the Ayre DAC. I don't see myself going back to CD's.

I really have thought of tube'd gear to get some warmth out of the system, but am still reluctant to go down that road.

I have also looked at, and wondered about the Pass integrated. But, I'm also wondering about the Karan Acoustic integrated which I can get for less $$ than the Pass.

I appreciate everybody's feedback. This is VERY interesting to me.

Matt
Wow, the specs, price and looks of the Usher are right on target. (Size is not much different than what I've got now....at least it's not worse!) What can you tell me about these speakers? Why did you recommend them?

Matt
Interesting about the Vandersteens. One of my friend's swears by them. I've also gotten curious about GALLO ACOUSTICS REFERENCE 3.5, which seem very reasonably priced for the specs they deliver. Anybody have experience with those speakers?

I'm planning to reaudition the Von Gaylord VG-8's and their Starlet 4 TUBE integrated (yes, I'm going to listen to a tubed amp) as the owner has agreed to bring his gear here to my home! No matter what else, that's what I call customer service!!
So, after much research and all of your feedback, here's the four speakers I'm going to listen to. These are in my price range (the Wilson's really were WAY out of my price range). These are listed in no particular order:

1) Gallo Ref 3.5
2) Revel Performa f208
3) Usher Mini Dancer 2
4) Von Gaylord VG-8

I've got an IN HOME listening session set up for the Von Gaylord speakers, along with their integrated tube amp (!). The Revel's are sold by a local dealer whom I have a good relationship with. The Usher and Gallo I'll have to track down, but I know are available relatively close.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Quite enlightening.

Matt
Listened to the Revel F208's and Sonus Faber Cremona (think it was the M version, but not positive) today. First listened to the Revels with the Luxman L550, next with the Musical Fidelity M6i. Also listened to the Sonus with the M6.

To keep it short for the moment, the Revel's just didn't do it for me. I was impressed by the midrange response and linearity, but the bass response didn't do it for me....there were lots of notes that I'd previously heard on recordings that just didn't show up. With the M6, there was more life and liveliness to the presentation, but it was still not significantly different than my F30's (with less bass).

Switched over to the Cremona's as the dealer has a demo sale on them (still expensive for me but really worth considering). I was very taken with these speakers. Truly lifelike and natural instrumental sounds, great midrange (loved how voices sounded), excellent soundstage, and just a very realistic (with just the right amount of detail) sound. This was my very first SF.....left feeling quite impressed.

More to come in a couple of days.
thanks again to all. It'll be interesting to see where this hunt ends up. I'll try to post occasional report from the "front lines" and let you know how things are developing. This is a really great community!
Darned it....you guys are making this hard!! My friend swears by Vandee's. Maybe I'll have to add them to the list. This has gotta stop ;-)
Got some appointments over the next 4 days. Will be listening to at least the following: Revel F208, Gallo Ref 3.5, KEF R700 (didn't have the 900), PSB Imagine T2, Von Gaylord VG-8. I will see where I'm at after this....remaining of interest are Vandersteen Treo and something from Martin Logan (kind of concerned about bass extension with the models I can afford). Keep your fingers crossed for me. Should be an interesting period of time.