Feedback on the current Reference 3a changes ?

To me (IMHO), the new (slate grey) finish on ALL of the current Ref. 3a speakers looks like the crust on the hooves of old knu's. I'm not sure if the texture is the same... I have only been involved with young ones. Couple the knu finish with the "baboon butt plug" sticking out of the woofer and the race will be on for them to suffer the same fate as their Rhino-coat(ed) brethren (with the ribbons in the middle). Show the wife a picture of the 7th Fleet moving into the living room and there will be no "grey area" as to her response. And of course, for additional torture, lets shove brrrr-illium tweeters in there just to keep up with the current status and bling. I'm sure that they work well for some, but I have always walked away from them (The BE. tweets) VERY happy to walk away from them.
It seems as though Ref 3a has snatched the grasshoppers from our hands and we (I) didn't want them to. They looked great the way they were, they sounded superb, and the price was fairly fair. Are the future owners doomed to the knu look of industrial austerity ? Are the current owners of the gorgeous "gloss red maple" forever to sleep with a smirk ? Should we care ? Please tell me while my grey pants are still dry.

Tubeears
tubeears
The original 3As were so hyped at the time with over the top glowing reviews that I bought a pair. I hated them, and sold the as quickly as possible. A change might well be an improvement.
Rebbi,

You have a very nice set up. Since I am seriously considering a pair of DeCapo's, I am very curious as to your findings on the new tweeter. My experience with BE tweets have not been good, but I am open to change. I am (once again) going back to tubes. I am a big fan of the EL34 and the DeCapos should work very well with them. I would also like to try one of the DecWare amps as well. I feel that a good SET amp is probably the way to go with the DeCapos and shove tubes in at every possible point in the front end. I lost contact with reality a while back and went totally to Solid State. Do to medical problems I was forced to sell all but my cabling and a few other things. I'm back on step now but have to be a bit cautious with over spending. I was real interested in the Focal 1007s (with the al/mag tweets) from Music Direct, but I have always liked the DeCapos.. especially in the gloss finish. I have a shot at a pair and I think that it is a done deal. I am using a Jolida 202 (EL34 based) amp in the interim until I decide on the DecWare amp. Front end is also Jolida ... A 100a CD player and also their new tube dac. I've got them all stuffed with Gold Lions and new Mullards so it all sounds.... Well.. "Tube like". My speakers now are some relics that I hung onto after the sale of all of my other stuff. They are Cary SP3's. Designed by Peter Norbeck (of PBN Montana) they are identical to PBN's first speaker .. the SP. They sound ok, but look like crap.
Again, I am interested to know more about the BE tweets.

Cheers,
Tubeears
"The original 3As were so hyped at the time with over the top glowing reviews that I bought a pair. I hated them, and sold the as quickly as possible. A change might well be an improvement."

Very curious statement. Out of the thirty some odd speakers I have owned, the Grand Veenas are one of the very best at any price I have paid.

Shakey
Shakeydeal,
Yes, the Grand Veena is an entirely different speaker which is very well regarded by many. I have never heard it. I am only commenting on my experience with the Reference 3A De Capo.
OK, that's it. I just pulled the trigger on gorgeous pair of Ref. 3a DeCapo,s in Gloss Red Maple. They are the "I" version built in 2010 and they even have the super nice Skylan (4 post) stands cut especially for the DeCapo's. I guess that I want to see if I will have hatred running through my veins as quickly as Roxy54 did. I will pick them up (they are even within driving distance) this coming Friday or Saturday. There is still time to put out an "Equiptment Wanted" ad for a pair of Panasonic Thrusters in case the hatred overcomes me.

I hope they work out.
Cheers!
Tubeears