Speaker grills on or off?

Which sound do you prefer from your speakers - with grill on or off?
50jess
no difference for me, although mfr says they are designed to play with them on. at best, I think with grills on, you keep dust and other particulates from settling on the components and damaging sunlight out too. (I am a little ocd about keeping things nice and clean.)

my Samoyed loves to sleep smack in front of the speakers with my music playing
My son was born during my first few years of more serious interest in audio. He's ten now. I have never taken the chance of using speakers with the grills off.
My paradigm studio's (v.5) all sounded more cohesive with better imaging with the grills on. I think they were designed so that the grills helped with dispersion and less diffraction.

Can't really tell with my kef's. They may sound more crisp, slightly better details with the grills off but it could just be in my head too.

Both my kef and my paradigms looked equally good with grills on or off but because my paradigms sounded better with them on, I left them on. My kef's grills come off and then go back on every couple days just cause I'm weird like that.'
Definitely off - if you ask any musician, speakers sound closer to musical instruments with off for sure.