"What's The Best Value Speaker In $5k-$10k Range?"

I'd appreciate some advice from those experienced with great speakers. I'm hoping that this thread will be valuable to lots of others, as well.

On to my question: What are the best value speakers you can buy on the used market in the $5k-$10k price range? I think it's time to get into something world-class for music, and I've found that in each area of life or hobby, there are gems available that might not carry the most popular brand name - or be the latest fashion - but that do deliver the best performance for the money.

I'd appreciate recommendations from any resident speaker gurus. Thank you!
metalphoenix
I have owned the Talon-X Series 2 since 2003, and without a doubt, these transducers deliver. Considering what they retailed for and what they now resale for on the used market,I cannot see how anyone could be disappointed from the money to performance perspective. A gem indeed...
OHM Walsh 3000 should be up to the task for a room that size at $4000. There are larger models but only of value if room size warrants. Very unique compared to other designs and worth a look if you are not familiar and have any interest in omnidirectional sound and/or Walsh drivers. That would be my choice.
BTW $4000 is the price for new OHM 3000s. Same drivers in refurbed older cabinets is often offered as an option for even less if interested in saving some money to apply elsewhere as needed.

One of the thing with OHMs is they are seldom ever cited as the bottleneck to better sound in a system. They generally respond to most any improvement made upstream. Whether one takes to the unique design and sonic presentation they offer is the main thing. Also omnis may not be the best solution for use in some rooms where room acoustics are excessively lively to start with.
Speaker selection is very personal. It depends on the kind of music that you like and your sonic taste. Speakers which are great for classical may not be good for rock. People who like more laid-back sound will prefer a different speaker than someone who like upfront ultra transparent one. If you can provide more details, you might get better suggestions. But whatever suggestions you get are just a starting point, nothing can replace an audition in person. Just a thought.