Speakers vs. headphones

OK, desperation is setting in (I'll admit it). I have a 12-by-13 room with 7-foot ceilings (carpeted room and acoustic tiles up top) and I've tried every speaker and sub placement imaginable for my very modest system (NAD 326 amp, Totem Mites, Velodyne SL-800 sub). Even without the sub, I can't get the sound to anywhere near what I'd like it to be. I had an even more basic system (NHT Super Zeros, Onkyo amp, M&K sub) in my old home and it sounded INCREDIBLE compared to what I have now. Like I said, I've tried diagonal speaker placements and everything else, including room treatments (panels on first reflection points – no bass traps yet, but it seems the problems go well beyond bass). The question(s): Is it time for headphones? Is it even possible to get decent sound in a room with these dimensions?
128x128jeddythree
I have the Audeze LCD2 driven by the Schiit Lyr.
It is reasonable sound......but compared to my speakers......as Docks wrote....."there are no chills".....?
I find that headphone listening is more of an intellectual exercise, where speakers is more visceral
Amphion Argon 2s, Yamaha CA-1010

Same room. Tried near field - no sound stage, well, poor sound stage. Tried facing down the long walls, not much better.

Pointing down the short walls, speaker faces 30" from the side wall and the same from the back wall. Angled in to point about a foot off my holders when seated against the opposite wall. That seems to work the best.
My STAX Lambda Nova Signatures with SRM T1S ( low noise RCA clear top tubes) sound better than any speaker I know of.

STAX headphones are the best sounding of all headphones!

Headphones have the "in the head" experience that some do not care for.