Speakers vs. headphones

OK, desperation is setting in (I'll admit it). I have a 12-by-13 room with 7-foot ceilings (carpeted room and acoustic tiles up top) and I've tried every speaker and sub placement imaginable for my very modest system (NAD 326 amp, Totem Mites, Velodyne SL-800 sub). Even without the sub, I can't get the sound to anywhere near what I'd like it to be. I had an even more basic system (NHT Super Zeros, Onkyo amp, M&K sub) in my old home and it sounded INCREDIBLE compared to what I have now. Like I said, I've tried diagonal speaker placements and everything else, including room treatments (panels on first reflection points – no bass traps yet, but it seems the problems go well beyond bass). The question(s): Is it time for headphones? Is it even possible to get decent sound in a room with these dimensions?
128x128jeddythree
Is this a single purpose room? If so, I agree with the others, near field listening with everything well away from walls and with speakers toed in so that the axis crosses in front of you. It's kind small, but if you close your eyes it can relly sound much larger. If you can't do that, maybe you should move on. BTW, if you listen nearfield besure to get speakers designed for that. Most will sound too bright up close. Something like the old Rogers LS3/5A's.

I have fairly competent headphone system (Senn 650's and a tubed amp, Woo W3). I love it for watching TV. But then I'm lucky to have a larger room :-)
May I suggest sitting up against the back wall, but bringing your speakers out from the front wall more than 1/3rd into the room? Also, with a fairly wide spread. This way you will have some sense of soundstaging behind the speaker plain.

You don't mention what direction the system is firing down, meaning the long or short wall. In a small room, and let's face it, with a smallish room like yours, every inch counts so let's make the most of it. If I had a small room, I would fire down the short wall and have the side walls as far away as I could as to take more the the side wall reflections out of the equation. So, maybe space your speakers parallel to the 13 foot side of the room, brought out more than 1/3rd into the room with your back up against the back wall. Just a thought...
This doesn't always work, but its worth trying. Instead of placing your speakers along one of the walls, try putting them at 45 degree angles between 2 walls. To visualize what I'm talking about, your listening chair should be directly lined up with and facing one of the corners. From that point, just set your speakers up like you normally would in relation to your chair. You'll still have to fine tune speaker and listening chair placement. Just to be clear, your center image should be in front of the corner you are facing.
A good recommendation, Zd542.

BTW: I had the Audeze LCD 2/Burson combo for a while. The Audeze retrieved detail unlike any speaker I've ever heard, I couldn't get used to the "head in a vise" feeling though. Also, I need a sensation of having a soundstage infront of me. The "headphone thing" did not work for me.
Your room is not the problem. You need more current with those speakers. Load the room with books, pillows, fat fabric chair etc and buy a current swallowing integrated for those hard to drive speakers.

Headphones are not an alternative. They're a supplement.