Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I have not posted anything in many moons so here goes.

My current system consists of a Nuforce Oppo 93 extreme universal player, Pannie VT30 65 Plasma, Reimer speaker systems (2 Tetons, 3 McColloughs and powered Reimer sub), 2 Adcom amps (2 channel and 3 channel) modified by Stan Warren and an Audio Refinement Pre2 DSP. My habits tend to be 75% music and 25% movies. I also frequently use the hi res audio formats of SACD and DVD Audio as well as 2 channel listening (I am in the digital realm - no vinyl).

While I do love my modest little system, I know it is quite outdated along the lines of the amp and processor. I would like to spend around $5000.00 or less here at Audiogon and upgrade.

My only wish is to find a processor that allows me to include the sub when in direct mode for 2 channel listening. My current set up only does so when the Oppo has the speaker configuration set to small for the fronts which is annoying when you have front channels that can reach 14hz by themselves. I just like to have the option of adding the sub as the system is in a rather large room and depending on what I am listening to I might want a little extra push on the low end at times.

The problem is it is hard to know what to buy that would be an upgrade when you can't really audition different pieces in the system too easily. I like having a 2 channel and 3 channel amp rather than a single 5 channel amp as well. I think the system sounds really nice and has a warm analog quality but of course I wonder even how much better it could be. I am a musician and music teacher so I like to think I have good ears musically and can actually tell the difference in semblence of audio quality - depth, holography, placement, etc.

What would you all suggest for me given the parameters I have written? I appreciate your time and expertise. I know there is no better place to ask for suggestions than here at Audiogon where I buy my equipment as well.

Thanking you in advance...
LTheLipper
llippman
Lipper,

The Adcom 5300 has an input impedance of 49,900 ohms. So, you need to look for a tube preamp with an output impedance of 4,900 ohms or less.

For the subwoofer connection, you'll need an rca y-adapter (2 female rca connectors feeding to one female rca connector). Run a single male-to-male rca cable from the subwoofer/LFE output on your processor to one of the female rca inputs on the y-adapter(the side of the y-adapter with dual female connections). Run another single male-to-male rca cable from the extra audio out on your tube preamp to the other female rca connection on the y-adapter(the side of the y-adapter with dual female connections). Lastly. run a singl male-to-male rca cable from the single female rca side of the y-adapter to the rca input on your subwoofer.
This set-up will feed the sub/LFE signal to your sub when using your processor for ht and it will send the signal from your new preamp to your sub when listening to 2-channel music through the preamp. You may need to adjust the sub's high pass filter to find a 'happy medium' cutoff frequency that works well for both ht and music. Or, you could change the sub cutoff frequency depending upon which you're listening to. I usually set my sub to about 35hz, which works well for music and ht for me. Since your left and right front channel speakers are very low frequency capable, you may also want to set your laft and right mains to 'large' on your processor settings to direct the full frequency range to your front speakers. 'Large' is the setting on my Parasound processor that sends a full range signal but your Audio Refinement Pre2 DSP may be called something else.

To summarize, I think a tube preamp with 'ht passthru', with an output impedance of 4,900 ohms or less and with an extra audio output for your sub should be a very good fit for your system. I know that the tube preamp I use (VTL 2.5tl) does meet all these criteria. However, I think there are probably several others that would work just as well and would sound as good or possibly better. I'd suggest seeing if a local dealer would let you try a couple out in your system.

I'm not exactly sure why you want to buy a new processor since the one you have is a very nice unit. The only reasons I can think of are either you don't like the sound of yours or you want to use one of the newer codecs.

But, if you have extra funds burning a hole in your pocket, I would suggest you consider replacing your Adcom amps with some newer class D ones (Wyred4 Sound, D-sonic, ClassD Audio, Channel Island Audio, etc.) This would give you a bigger bang for your buck, sound quality wise, as long as you're satisfied with your current surround sound capabilities.

If you're set on a new processor, You may want to check out the new Emotiva processor that has gotten very good reviews.

Good luck,
Tim

Lipper,

Just realized I listed your amp as an Adcom 5300 when it's actually a 5500. Sorry, but the good news is that both have the same input impedance: 49,900 ohms.

Thanks,
Tim
I agree that the VTL 2.5 that Noble100 recommends and owns is an excellent choice. Its very underrated.