Do I have a "balance" problem?

My system is in a dedicated room, 13 x 12.5 x 8.5, with one chair centered between the speakers. The speakers are several feet away from the front and side walls. I've treated the room, including absorption panels to deal with first reflections. Here's my issue: to get proper L/R imaging, I have to set the balance control in favor of the right channel somewhere between (depending on the recording) 1:00 and 2:30 on the dial. My system has always been this way and the issue is consistent with both LP and CD playback. I recently auditioned three line stages and each one required the balance control set to the right. By way of "troubleshooting," I've switched tubes, cleaned all contacts, and systematically switched L/R cables on each pair of interconnects one at a time. Nothing changes. There is no degradation of sound in the right channel (at least to my ears) and when the balance is set properly the music sounds great. But I just don't understand why the balance control needs to be set so far to the right. Does anyone else out there have a similar situation? Is there something "wrong" with my system? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ag insider logo xs@2xcrazee01
I had a similar issue. For me, the problem was with speaker placement. The speakers were equal distant to my chair, within a quarter inch. However, one speaker was slightly further from the back wall and the toe-in was slightly different than the other speaker, perhaps off by just a couple of degrees. I used a laser measure to realign the speakers and all is well now.
Thanks Thaluza. My speakers have not been placed with such precise measurements. I will pick up a laser measure and see what I can do.
Does your system occupy a rack or cabinet in between your speakers and, if so, how far away from the front wall are your speakers? Even if you don't normally have domestic permission to move the speakers out as far as 1/4 the distance from the front wall to the rear wall (a usual recommendation), it might be worthwhile to try them there temporarily to see if what you're dealing with is a sonic reflection off of an object located between the speakers.

If the above doesn't apply to you, then also, sometimes, construction variations within the walls of your room can lead to the acoustic center of your room not lining up with the mathematical center of the room (laterally). You may want to try differing sets of speaker positions left to right with respect to the midway point between the side walls...just to see if it has any impact on the problem or if a new lateral position for your speaker pair can be found that fixes the problem. In the end don't be afraid to try experimenting with longer or shorter distances between the speakers as well, but you can start with keeping it the same as it is now, for simplicity's sake.

In any case, this sort of problem is almost always fixable if you stay with it, so keep experimenting. Regards. John
Post removed