Hypex Ncore NC1200 Amps at NY Audio Show in April

This is a BIGGIE! Both based on the Hypex Ncore NC1200, the Mola-Mola Mono Amps and the Merrill Audio Veritas Mono Amps will be at the NYC Audio show in April. The Mola-Mola with Vivid Speakers and the Veritas with Raidho and Sanders Sound Speakers, all in separate rooms.
128x128hifial
Hifial and Kana813,

You are both correct, the target price for this dual-mono stereo amp has been raised to $4,000 from $3,000. My mistake.

I read the following quote from Paul M. in the comments section of Kana's link:

"Yes, well over half the expense is in the NL produced Hypex modules - two 1200 watt power supplies and two 700 watt modules. The PS contribution input board and the chassis form the other half.

I was really shooting for $3K but after adding up the costs that just didn't fly."

But this quote raises some questions:

1. Exactly which 700 amp modules is Paul referring to; the newest Hypex Ncore 700 modules or the older Phillips UcD 700 modules?
It's my understanding that Bruno/Hypex obtained the rights to produce and sell updated versions of the original UcD modules that contains technology Bruno had patented. If this is true, any reference to 'Hypex 700 amp modules' becomes ambiguous since it describes both the new updated Hypex UcD 700 module and the newest Hypex Ncore 700 module.

2. Again, if this is true, what are the differences in costs, applied technologies and sound qualities between the updated UcD 700 and Hypex 700 amp modules?

I know I may be splitting hairs with these distinctions, but I'd appreciate any assistance in answering the questions above. I'm starting to get confused.

Thanks,
Tim
Paul (from PS Audio) has clearly stated that his amp design will not be using the Ncore modules.
" Yes, well over half the expense is in the NL produced Hypex modules - two 1200 watt power supplies and two 700 watt modules"

"Exactly which 700 amp modules is Paul referring to"

These are Hypex switching power supplies.

However, I afree with Bill_k that for $4k MSRP, Mr.
Gowan cannot afford NCore 1200 x 2 plus their PSU x 2
Here's a copied thread from www.psaudio.com's Community forum thread about the new class D stereo amp due out around mid-summer this year:

"Hypex was supposed to apply some of the ncore tech to the UcD series. Will the UcD modules in the new PSA amp benefit from this?

timequesttimequest March 22

@wglenn...

This response is from Streets Still Works - I've copy/pasted a section from the 6th page of this thread. It answers your question nicely...

@ SSW: "...From the Hypex white paper ( http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore wp.pdf )the Features of NCORE are:,
HypexWhitePaper said:

1) A mathematically exact understanding of self-
oscillation. This allows optimization of large-
signal performance.
2) Improved comparator circuitry insures that
actual behaviour matches the theoretical model
as closely as possible.
3) New gate drive circuitry improves open-loop
distortion at moderate signal levels while signi-
ficantly reducing idle losses.
4) A new control loop ups loop gain by 20dB across
the full audio range without sacrificing stability.

Paul's UcD 700 OEM module has items 1, 2, and 3, but not 4. Paul is using a feature of the UcD OEM where the built-in input preamp is bypassed on the UcD. That's so Paul can use his high voltage Class A front end that you see in the photos. The UcD 700 DIY does not have this capability, nor does the NCORE as they rely on the on-board preamp..."

So,Bill_k is correct, PS Audio's new stereo amp will utilize 2 of the older (non Ncore updated) UcD 700 OEM amp modules each powered by a separate Hypex Ncore 1200 SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply). PS Audio has designed a proprietary class A and A/B solid-state Input Stage which owner and chief designer Paul McGowan claims will be mainly responsible for the sound quality advantage his amp(s) will achieve. Apparently, there is currently no Hypex Ncore 700 OEM amp modules yet, so it cannot be used with PS Audio's proprietary Input Stage. Down the road, Hypex may agree to produce new Ncore 700 OEM amp modules exclusively for their audio company customers like PSA that desire discrete input stages.

Dob is partially correct. The dual power supplies, one for each 700 power module, will be Hypex Ncore 1200 switching mode power supplies. However the power modules will be dual Hypex UcD 700 OEM modules, not the top of the line Hypex Ncore 1200 OEM modules. Both of these modules have the trailing 'OEM'(Original Equipment Manufacture) designation because they are reserved for sale to other audio companies' for use in their Hypex class D amplifier offerings using proprietary input stages.

The Hypex 'OEM' designation just signifies that these modules can be coupled to proprietary Input Stages.

Paul M. has stated he wants his new amp, currently code named "PWA" I think, to sell for approx. $4,000. A fairly good price if sound quality is as promised.

He has also stated, however, that he didn't think he could meet this $4,000 target price if he utilized the admittedly superior Hypex Ncore 700 or 1200 OEM amp modules.

Paul M. also claims, though, that his very capable proprietary Input Stage attached to the UcD 700 OEM amp modules will outperform an average/typical Input Stage attached to either the Hypex Ncore 700 or 1200 OEM amp modules. Comparisons of his amp to other newer amps like Mola-Mola Ncores, Acoustic Imagery Atsahs and Merrill Audio Veritas, utilizing the Nc1200 modules should be very interesting. I believe all but the Mola-Mola use proprietary Power Supplies and Input Stages.

If Ps Audio's amp is a winner, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with another lower priced and powered class D amp, utilizing the same or similar Input Stage but attached to lower cost amp modules, such as the Hypex UcD 400 amp modules.

Thanks,
Tim