3 channel sound

At Axpona Chicago I heard the comparison of stereo vs. 3 channel (Oscar Peterson and Nat King Cole's selections) through Mytek Sony Pass 5 channel dsd system. I was stunned with the change in focus of the image. Not 5 channel nonsense where music comes from 5 speakers (sorry Dire Straits) just 3 channel.

My question is besides VAS Audio, who offers a 3 channel preamp/processor? Only other one I know of is old H-K that the VAS is based on.

Has anyone ever heard the TriSound processor that James B. had released shortly before his death?
roundmoundofsound
In my current system, I listen to Trifield through my Meridian G68. I have three identical speakers and three channels of (nearly) identical amplification.

I can tell you from experience that Trifield presents quite a few challenges to set up, as there are a number of parameters (depth, width, center level, center EQ) that must be dialed in correctly. But if Trifield is set up well, it can be a very rewarding musical presentation.

Bryon
3 channel processor? I think the reason there are so few of them is: what's the point? Most people who want more than 2 channels want at least 5.1. Like you, I dislike having instruments in the rear channels but I love having ambient sound or, with live recordings, audience noise, in the rear. That gives a more immersive, 3D sound. If you try that you may find that enhances the music over and above adding the center channel. A subwoofer can enhance the experience as well, so that gives you the 5.1. I suppose you could get a good 5.1 channel processor and only use the front 3 channels.
I know this is old, but I am very surprised that Meridian didn't make this list. Tri-field definitely makes the top end of Meridians list of accomplishments.

I think the point is very clear, as three channel is easy to apply in most settings, while 5 or more of a little more messy.