Tube dampers/coolers effect on preamp sound?

Has anyone heard a change in sound, good or bad, when using any kind of device that damps a tubes glass bottle in a preamp ?
rmcfee
I have heard one person say that they heard a reduction in openness and soundstage when using a damper. Any opinions of this?
"I have heard one person say that they heard a reduction in openness and soundstage when using a damper. Any opinions of this?"

Results may vary on each system; I haven't heard, that but I know from experience that postion of the damper on the glass tube will produce a different effect. Herbie recommends placement 1/3 down the tube.
Why not google Herbie's audio lab... there is a Q & A section.
Yep, I added some Audio Research rubber band-like tube dampers to my Manley Steelhead phono preamp and I heard a tightening of the sound, especially in the bass, and improvement in dynamics. It didn't make the difference other tweaks such as Audio Prism cables or Kemp Elektroniks plugs made, but still a very cost-effective tweak.
I did not like the effect with my Audio Horizons Preamp (lost openness and aliveness) though it did stop microphonics
Hi Rmcfee

I would say it would depend on a lot of things. What was the piece of equipment the dampers were used in? What kind of damper was employed? There are many kinds now. From silicone rings to brass rings with a ground wire.

I've used silicone rings and Herbie's tube dampers on the preamp tubes of my amp and I had the same results as Lowrider.