Does the volume control effect sound quality?

I recently had to change my volume control in a Dynaco pre-amp. I could not find the exact part, but based on specs, chose another dual gang control. However, it seems like the sound quality has changed so my top end is not as pronounced. Am i imagining things?

Thanks
burrjf
With experiments with volume controls go back as far as the 1970's, this is what has bought about the ldr Lightspeed Attenuator.
Almost all rotary switches have a stiff disc wiper made out of a different material to the springier metal that the leaf/leaves are made out of.The two contact points in relays are at least made out of the same material.
It is comon knowledge that two different metals that are a touch contact with current/voltage passing through them will creat a "diode effect" electrolosis or glavaic.

Herve Delartz of DartZeel backs this up as well, this is why he does not use contact volume controls either in his $25k NHB-18NS preamp but uses ldr's which have no contact.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dartzeel2/preamp.html

Quote interview with Herve:
Q: What is wrong with conventional volume controls?
A: You lose something. I use a system that varies resistance with light. However, until all the patents are in place, I would prefer not to specify the details.

Cheers George
Guess I'll have to install the inductive volume control and see if there's any freq response problems. Some things in audio are just unpredictable.
Inductive?? the worst you can have is an iductive wire wound pot, that comes in at no.8 on my decending horror list?

Cheers George
Inductive = Autoformer volume control. Example, Slagleformer in the Bent Audio Tap X, one of the best passive preamps around. George, I think you're thinking of the wrong volume control.
Yes you are right with these TVC's as well, they do also have inductances, have you ever seen what happens to 20khz square wave through them, they can either ring their brains out or be severly bandwidth limited. What goes in doesn't come out unscathed in nearly all ones I have tested on the bench.

Cheers George