Preamp - 18 dB Gain too low?

Being a newbie to audio stuff, I'd like to hear your opinion whether should I replace my preamp. To get to a reasonable loud volume, my preamp has to be at around 1PM to 2PM position for most of CD and music DVD. Should I get another preamp with higher gain? If so how much more? Why don't the manufacturers make higher gain? Probably some sonic compromise with high gain active preamp?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Preamp: Conrad Johnson PV-10AL, gain 18 dB.
Amp: Shuguang S845MK (tube amp 848)
Speakers: Tekton Lore (Sensitivity 98 dB)
Room: 25 x 17 x 8'
nguyen787
Thank you all. Sound like I have been worried out of nothing.

Initially I hooked up the amps with a passive preamp Lightspeed Attenuator and the volume was low, dialing around 2:00 to 4:00 to have reasonable sound. Figured that active preamp would help, swapped out to CJ and it did. The volume knob is now at 1:00 to 2:00

The amp sensitivity is 4V. Is it low or high? I have no idea what 4 Volts really mean in term of sonic amplification.
Tom6897,
I will strongly disagree with designer's statement weather he/she well regarded or not simply because zero attenuation can ONLY be achieved at volume knob turned all the way clockwise or 'up'. Other than that, preamp will always have fixed gain of certain magnitude. There are variable gain preamps, but neither of the posters I believe have those so far in this discussion. I also know that some of the units built to have a smooth gain control(there indeed you can gain a point of 0db gain) instead of volume control, but with great risk of loosing stability of the circuit.

I also disclaim to happen to be an ordinary techie for live sound and recording studios also having an incomplete Electrical Engineering from college drop-out simply because I'm more of the craft's man rather than scientific.
Nguyen 878, 4v sensitivity is quite low which I think was implied by Marakantz in his first post. A sensitivity between .5v and 1.5v is much more common and fairly high.
I have the Lightspeed and use it with an amp that is not very sensitive, around 3V or so. You will have to go further around the dial to achieve adequate SPL levels but that really isn't a problem. If it were the opposite and you had very little flexibility with the switch then I would be more concerned.
Marakanetz- I will defer to your expertise/training.

I will try to find the reference. (It may have been Roger Sanders or Saul Marantz)???

Anyway, It would make sense that as you approach the limit of the volume dial, (lets say it goes from 7:00-5:00 o'clock, Between 12 & 3 quite loud by now!), you are approaching zero gain and not many can let their systems play at full steam without strain or damage to ears or equipment as you mention. The preamp needs to get out of first and second gear to hit it stride. I think I was left to presume that the volume control would sound best when operating in the latter part of the dial.

I have very little knowledge of EE or Audio design other than being a user of such items. I may have completely misunderstood the conversation. Although, I know I have read comments from others stating nearly the same in that their system sounded best with the volume on the pre turned more clockwise. Where that is on any individual dial is another matter.

Do you kind of get what I am saying?...
Mine has 1db detents but will spin forever.