Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12
Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your story. you are very knowledgeable about Accuphase products, and you probably know more than the distributor!

As for grey market units, of course they are, because they're not making a big profit off of them.

That's pretty sad that the distributor treated you that way. That is unacceptable. I would contact Accuphase and complain about that guy.

The US distributor seems like an ok guy. I met him at CES a couple of years ago.
Even though it is a super high end product It's still gray market because it came from unauthorized distribution.
Support from local dealers and distributors is the issue, I know. It feels to me that ex dem or second hand, is a better way to go, for me. The only problem with that, is finding one, but I am not in a rush. Thanks for all the helpful advice
Sure, that would be ok too. Definitely don't be in a rush, that's one way to get burned.
David12,

I have heard both Luxman & Accuphase products and would be proud to own either brand. Both brands are built to last and if bought used should provide years of trouble free service. I had the Accuphase 560E class A intrgrated in my system for a trail and it was the best integrated I have ever heard. I didn't buy it because I am not quite ready to give up my tube seperates. BTW if your speakers have a easy load look at the class A offerings.