Grey amplifier Imports from Japan?

I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. I am leaning towards a Luxman or Accuphase SS, class A/B integrated. Something like the Luxman 507.

Looking online, the savings importing from Japan against buying locally, are enormous. There are clearly, real risks,, the loss of warranty support, having to use a transformer to change the voltage, which must have the potential to degrade the sound.. Against that, brands have a reputation for reliability.

If anyone has bought from one of the Japaneses sites, can they decribe their experience? Thanks
david12
There is a distributor for Luxman based in California as well as Accuphase. Trying to get service on the product after your purchase it may be impossible, and you would obviously have to pay out of pocket for any repairs, thereby making it no longer cost effective.
My opinion (and no more than that): there is a nice person (Philip) who imports Luxman into the US, makes a living that way (http://www.onahighernote.com). Similar feeling about dealers who offer their advice based on years in the industry who also make a living doing this (great example is Johnny Rutan at Audio Connections in Verona NJ). Seems to me there is value in working through the right channels to purchase what you are looking for instead of going around established importers/very experienced dealers.
That's cool and all, but why are these units (both brands) 2-3 times the price than in Japan. I understand dollar to yen, tariffs, duty, taxes, and so on and so forth. But, this has to be profit driven. Big profits, I would think...
I'm with Dave_72, everyone knows a dealer importer has to make a living, also, that all the difference in price, is'nt down to the dealer being greedy, but when the difference is so great....

There is an ethical issue here. For me, this means I am not going to a dealer to audition the product, then importing from Japan. The same applies to buying second hand and incidentally, a viable and possibly safer alternative to a direct import. I am simply not going to buy an Accuphase integrated amp at over $10000. I have'nt got the cash and don't think they are worth it to me."Buy something cheaper", I can hear the reply. Well I want an Accupase or Luxman and there is a way of getting it a lot cheaper and why not, if I'm not dishonestly using a dealer's services, then buying elswhere.

Basically, a lot of us have ears bigger than our wallets. What you do about it, is the question.
David12

Since you are located in Europe 230V/50Hz operation using a step down transformer will not be a problem because Japan uses both 50Hz and 60Hz at 100 Volts. Japan is the only country that uses 100V 60Hz/50Hz. All transformers are designed for both 60Hz/50Hz.

I have purchesd Three Luxman and and one CEC from Japan at half the price in USA. The Luxman L-507U you can change the 100V to 115V or 230V by just moving the jumper from 100V to 230V. Also disconnect the wires that is connected from 100V/115V to 230V operation, The transformer one section works for 100V/115V and the other section is for 230V/50Hz operation. Also you need to replace two main fuses to 250V. There is no such thing as Grey amplifier import both Luxman and Accuphase are super high end custom made Japan product.