Merrill Audio VERITAS Amps: Any other experiances?

Despite the Sandy Hurricane interruptions, Merrill was kind enough to provide me the opportunity to audition his Merrill Audio Veritas Mono-block amps with my system. He delivered the amps and I listened for approx 48 hours over a period of three days. It should be noted that never once in this time frame did I or anyone else listening experience listening fatigue.

The Veritas units were temporary replacements for my ARC VTM200 MONO-blocks and other than a short experience with my neighbors ARC 610 Mono-Blocks which really brought my Maggies to life, it was a reawakening as to what my Maggies can do given sufficient power. It's not that the VTM200 don't do a good job, its that financially, moving up with more powerful tube amps is out of the question.

Basically , I was overjoyed with what I was listening to. With the Veritas supplying 700 watts per channel vs the 200 tube watts, which is fundamentally 3 and one half times the power I had been feeding them, it was the first time I heard the Maggies with the power they were recommended to be supplied with other than the 610 experience. It should be noted that every piece of electronic audio equipment I have is TUBE centered. The presentation of the Veritas into the system was the first time a pure solid state unit had been introduced to the system and the lasting impression was WOW...just like the web site stated!

We listened to vinyl as well as CDs...Jazz and full orchestration as well as solo piano, cello and violin. Beside myself and occasionally my wife, the listening panel included Blaine Handzus of the NJAS as well as an interested neighbor along with Merrill.

If and when I replace the ARC VTM200s, the Veritas would be at the top of the list.

Having heard Class D amps at other systems, I had never been totally satisfied with what they delivered but the Veritas units presented a completely satisfying and different audio presentation. In short, the 'you are there' effect the Maggies are famous for with the proper watts was stunning.

Simply put, the Veritas are an audio achievement, with extremely accurate front to back definition as well as a superbly accurate soundstage presentation. The holographic effect of instrument position within the orchestra was excellent.

But more to the point, the sounds of the instruments themselves were very accurate. My wife, who listens to live music on a daily basis, both strings, keyboard and horns made the comment that she "could hear the cellos and violas breath".

It was a sad hour when Merrill came back to take his amps away!
128x128jafo100
Are the Merrill Audio Veritas equipped with 20A or 15A IEC power inlets?

Thanks, Guido
Very intriging. I started reading this thread to learn more about the Merril Veritas class D monoblocs.

However, this thread quickly evolved(devolved?) into a discussion of ownership rights to various class D technologies, patent and trademark ownership in both Europe and the U.S. and other undisclosed matters.

It's obvious that 'Audiozen' has a different viewpoint than 'Hifial' and 'Guidocorona'. Hifial and Guidocorona, on one side, are arguing that Hypex owns "hypex"and "ncore" technologies and trademarks but not the Ucd technology and trademark, conceding that Phillips owns these since Bruno Putskeys invented this while employed by Phillips. Audiozen, on the other side, agrees that Phillips owns the UcD rights but implies that the "ncore" rights may belong to Phillips, since he claims the "ncore" name and technology may have begun developement under Bruno while he was still employed by Phillips.

It seems like each side is trying to establish timelines for either current or future legal disputes regarding 'hypex" and "ncore" ownership rights. Does anyone know if Hypex and Phillips are engaged in a legal dispute or potential future litigation? Or is this just a public spat between rival class D companies?

I find this very interesting but I have no stake in this game/dispute. In trying to understand the hidden agendas displayed in their respective thread postings above.
It appears to me that:

1. Hifial is definitely Jean-Peter van Amerongen, CEO and owner of Hypex Electronics in The Netherlands. His position in this dispute is clearly backing Hypex's interests which is completely understandable.
2. Guidocorona is an Italian named Guido ? that appears to work for, or with, Hypex. I'm not sure what his employment position is but he is clearly in support of Hypex's interests.
3. Audiozen, I currently think either works for or represents the interests of Phillips but I'm not certain. He seems intent on trying to muddy the waters in regards to when Bruno Putzkeys began work on the "ncore" technology. He also seems to have an undisclosed agenda but he may just be a rival razzing a competitor and spreading misinformation.
4. Bruno Putzkeys is a Polish born amplifier engineer and designer whom both sides refer to often in their thread posts. He worked for Phillips in The Netherlands when he invented the UcD (Universal class D) technology and modules that utilized PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) which marked the birth of class D amplification. Sometime in 2005, Bruno left Phillips and joined Hypex as their head of R&D in order to further his development of his class D technology, since Phillips had just previously discontinued funding for his amplifier research and development. Whether or not Bruno worked on 'ncore', or even referred to any part of his UcD creation with the name 'ncore, is a major point of contention between the 2 parties since this could imply ownership rights of 'ncore'.

Even though I have no skin in this game, I'm going to follow future developments closely. If anyone has aditional knowledge of this dispute, or wants to clarify or correct any of my statements or information, please post them. I may be reading too much into this, but I think I'm smelling ulterior motives and an undisclosed story here.

Audiozen, can you tell us if you have an undisclosed stake in this dispute and whether you're employed by any audio company? If so, is it Audio Research or Rowland?

Guidocorona, can you tell us if you have a stake and if you're employed by Hypex? If not, are you employed by another audio company?

Just my 2 cents and thanks,
Tim
Thank you Noble100 for adding to the Ncore lore... I was not aware that Mr. Putsey's was born in Poland at all.

Your conjectures are fascinating... Never the less, I never heard of any corporate dispute between Hypex and Philips, past, present, or impending. AudioZen, Hifial, and I are purely bonified audiofools. We are not proxies for any particular companies in this discussion, nor our monikers mask some high ranking identities in the world of High End audio. Our obvious passion derives from personal experiences, philosophical preferences, and some differing results when trying to root out extremely scattered information from the internet. On more than one occasion, we pick up the phone, and talk to some manufacturers directly, although up to now we seem to have limited ourselves to the Western side of the Atlantic. My own particular audiophilic specialty is recent Rowland lore.

I own a Rowland Criterion preamplifier and a pair of Rowland monoblocks, and am extremely fond of them. prior to M725 class A/B, the Rowland M312 ICEpower 1000ASP stereo was my amp reference.

I am intrigued by the apparently inherent musical potential of the new generation of class D modules from Pascal, Abletech, and Hypex... There exists already anecdotal reports of desirable performance in earlybird instantiations of amps based on some of these modules. I am looking forward to testing some of these amps in my own system, and to verify the soundness (or foolishness) of my hunches.

As for my origins and whereabouts... Yes, you are correct, I was born and grew up in Milano (Italy), lived in Toronto for two decades, and am currently living in Austin (TX). I now work for AT&T after almost 27 years with IBM. I am a contributing reviewer to PFO.

My scribblings on the intellectual property of Ncore are purely based on my own helter-skelter research on mostly secondary and tertiary internet sources. I claim no current inside knowledge from Philips or Hypex.

Note: Although there exist four IBM patents with my name on them in one way or another, I am neither a lawyer, nor am I an intellectual property professional.

Guido
Hi Guido,

I'm just an audiofool, myself. One who, obviously, has too much time on my hands since retiring ( former distribution operations manager).

I also am very excited about the potential of the new various class D amplifiers/technologies and have been following developments closely. I'm a Class D Audio SDS440SC owner and love this amp. I'm also thinking of trying my hand at building a pair of Hypex momoblocs with NC400 amp modules, figuring this will save me about $8-10k, with the finished monos that use the top of the line Hypex modules costing so much. I'll post my impressions if I do build these. I would also love to see a review comparing the various class D amps to each other as well as to some top class A, A/B and tube amps.

I apologize for letting my imagination run wild. I now understand that this thread was just fellow audiofools being passionate about their viewpoints, not high-end company bigwigs discussing industry happenings under cover of psuedo-usernames.

In my defense, however, you 3 are so involved and passionate in your opinions/brand biases, that I think you all may have unwittingly taken on the personas of your favorite companies' owners. Kind of like very committed actors being devoted to their roles.
I also falsely assumed Hifial was Jan-Peter of Hypex because he included a quote from Hypex in one of his posts that was signed by Jan Peter at the end.

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist. But, I sure took this thread and embellished the f*&!ck out of it. I'm so glad that my post will provide so many hours of amusement for you guys.

No charge and have fun.
Thanks,
Tim