What is my weak est link...? Suggestions please.

So here it is: I have a budget of $4000 to upgrade one of the following:

Speakers: Hales Concept 2 (one tweeter - one 7" driver)
Pre: Adcom GFP-750 (Nelson Pass design)
Amp: Adcom 5800

My Thoughts:

Speakers are built like tanks - solid walnut & concrete. Although they lack bottom end.

Bought the Pre years ago; A/B'd them to a Krell Pre ("lower line") which I was prepared to buy. Based on my audition at that time, I picked the Adcom.

Originally, I was thinking about a McIntosh 300 watt amp to replace the Adcom. However, does anyone have any experience with the Adcom GFP-750 as compared to other pre-amps? Also, do you think $$$ would be better spent replacing the Hales with a pair of BW801? I could add a subwoofer, but I kinda like the simplicity of the two speaker set-up.

Thanks for any positive feedback! It is great to have a support community out here in iPod world...

ABP
abp689
What's your source component(s)?

From the little info you have provided you probably might not need to change anything. If bass is all you think is lacking you should experiment with speaker/listener positioning before changing any equipment. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, then you can get a really good subwoofer for $2k. Either direction is a better use of money than replacing the Hales or Adcoms.
I prefer Kef 107 speakers to B&Ws, and they can be had for a fraction of the cost. They are on sale here now:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-kef-107-speakers-in-black-107-2012-11-11-speakers-96003

You can sort of hear them on the Youtube, if you have a good computer based system.

I would also add power conditioner to Adcoms - it made a difference in my system. Even an affordable oneac one like this would be an improvement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OneAC-CP1110-PN-006-232-8-4-AMPS-WORKS-GREAT-Power-Line-Conditioner-4-Outlet-/190749980276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6995b674
I love the sound of Kef 107 reference speakers. You can sometimes find them on ebay. They beat B&W 802 nautilus for me, and you know how much they cost...

Also, how about an oneac power conditioner? They made a difference in my system for not much money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OneAC-CP1110-PN-006-232-8-4-AMPS-WORKS-GREAT-Power-Line-Conditioner-4-Outlet-/190749980276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6995b674
Thanks for the quick response all; the input was great!

I was planning on buying the Mac; I think more due to aesthetics than need. From the responses listed below, I am going to start researching a good sub for the system.

Room:

I have been listening to the same system for years; I just moved my system upstairs to this current room - and it sound like a NEW system. I can't believe it. The room set-up is outstanding and shows how a good room can add to the dynamics of a system. Part of the architecture has curved walls, with slanted ceiling, and a three foot opening at the top, curtain and plants have also helped.

Power Conditioner:

I got lucky on this one. A GE engineer was shipped an extra power conditioner for a scintillation detector and gave it to me. Weighs 85 lbs, looks like a wort hog, and is outstanding.

Cable: Do you really think I can find a good cable for only $3k? I have a $4k budget. Maybe this was suggested and an "entry level" cable.