SS amp as opposed to tube amp

I'm writing this primarily for "newbies". I have both sets, tube pre and SS amp in bed room; tube pre and tube amp in the listening room.

Recently, I've been doing critical "unbiased" listening. Before, I was listening with bias towards the tube amp. I just installed "NOS" tubes in the pre with the SS amp, and I can hear every nuance those fantastic tubes are delivering.

While there is no way I would ever have a SS pre, I'm not at all sure about the differences between a transparent SS amp, and tube pre.

Someone has already mentioned the cost of retubing. If that's a factor, I vote for the SS amp; also tube amps kick out as much heat as a fireplace, definitely not for the bed room.

Since I'm the kind of audiophile who wants the best sound possible, even if it's imaginary, I'll stick with a tube amp for the listening room.

In conclusion, tube amp or SS amp is almost a toss up with this audiophile.
orpheus10
I'm sorry your hearing is such that you can't tell the difference between SS and Tube, seriously, you don't have to listen "intently" to hear the difference.
Rrog, funny!

Ya, my Belles amp was letting DC out. No, I did not put my foot through them.....