$18k Tube preamp for large scale symphonies please

hi, can anyone suggest tube preamp that's good for handling complex music & large scale symphonies recordings in studio/ theatres? i had audition some: Aesthetix, CJ ,Modwright, Audio Note, ARC but all seems lacking in some ways and definitely not enough air at top octaves and instruments separation/ spaciousness. all dealer agrees that some pre is good at certain genre of music and sound Great even more if music is relatively SIMPLE like vocal, jazz, light acoustic, slow rock and maybe pop songs. Yes i know personal taste varies as well: bass strength & high freq. extension etc. & gears matching too. could anyone share their expreience so i can narrow down a list? my music typically: Van Hellsing & Princess Mononoke movie soundtrack. hope dealers provide constructive comments. Thanks All in advance. -phil
philipwu
Hi Phillip,
Whart makes a very good point,at this level much of what you hear is dependent on other system components. I`m glad you were able to hear the Coincident,I find it sublime in my system yet nothing will ever be without some relative compromise or flaw of some degree.Some other preamps may equal or even better the Coincident in certain specific areas, but as an overall package it is superb and will compete with the very best.

I`m happy that it made a strong impression for you. I find it very airy, open and transparent as you do.To my ears the tone is full bodied and complete without crossing the line toward artificial warmth and color. But this is just my opinion and in the context of my own system.

With the Coincident as a reference point I hope there`s opprotunity to hear the other preamps on your list.You`re off to a great start!
Best Regards,
Whart,
I see you`re using the Veloce linestage, I`ve read stellar reports about its performance.There`s no single best or perfect preamp but there`re certainly some great choices available these days.
Regards,
Hi, Charles, yes, I heard the first generation of it in my system, however, the later version to my ears, using the DR version of the 6H30 tube is substantially better.
I am unclear whether the OP was looking for a line stage or a full-on preamp that included phono. In another discussion, the point was made that given the cost of the separates plus the level of interconnect required to connect the two components, one could buy a pretty stratospherically priced full (with phono) preamp. Buying used, of course has its advantages too.
Regards,
Philip,
It’s really hard to make any specific rankings. As Whart says, synergy with your power amp and speakers is important. All too often people forget that preamplifiers and power amps need matching especially in terms of gain. Also knowing the efficiency of your speakers helps too. If they are high efficiency, be aware that circuit noise and gain issues can be a real bug bear. That’s why I suggested the TRON. Not only do they sound really good, they are made to order. Hence you will be able to get a preamplifier made to suit the rest of your equipment. That’s important if you’re going to drop 18k!
Good luck.
Charlie
HI Whart, i'm only searching for line stage only. Lucky me, no additional cost for the phono. BTW, i'm using Martin logan speakers and their sonic are rather neutral, perhap slightly warm\bloom from the 400hz down which i experience when compare to other ML speakers which using a smaller 8" woofer.
Topoxforddoc, i have extensive experience with ML electrostatics so i'm not worried about gain issues too.
i fully agreed that best is to hear it in my system, however, i have no amp and have not decide which one yet, that happen to be the bad part, or perhaps could i say i also have the luxury to match up with tube pre later for better synergy performance, and i know how my Spire would sound.
Anyone have better approach to solve the dilemma i'm in ? thanks