ARC LS25 with PASS X250 - bad match? Seems bright.

I just switched my amp from an arc VT100mkII to the PASS X250. Upon doing so, I heard more brightness and even harshness in my system. I have heard that the PASS amps are not bright, so I am suspecting either a system mismatch, or that the X250 is more linear and is revealing another source of brightness in my system, that the tube amp perhaps was masking.

System:
Rockport Mira Monitors
Wisdom SCS Subwoofer
PASS X250
Audio Research LS25 mk I
Bryston 10b Sub crossover
Cambridge DacMagic
PS Audio GCPH
J.A. Michell Tecnodek
Dynavector 10x5
Cardas 100b microtwin balanced interconnects
Cardas Cross speaker cables

I am having a feeling that maybe my source components are not up to par with the rest, and that may be the cause of the harsh brightness at times. Or, that the PASS does not like the ARC LS25. What do you think?

Thanks!
Mark
marktomaras
X1 is not the right choice to warm up your system. The xp series would be a better choice. Or BAT or Cary or Conrad Johnson for tubes.
The Rockports certainly aren't your problem, and I doubt its your cabling. I will assume what you describe is on all sources, with and without your sub. I have heard an ARC pre, and Pass amp once, with what I consider to be a warmer speaker. It did sound a bit forward for my taste, to be polite. I heard Rockport Ankaa's about 3-4 years ago, and they sounded great. Source was digital, an Audio Aero Capitole Classic. Preamp was a Shindo Monbrison, amp was believe it or not, an ARC Classic 60. I was wanting for very little. Again, assuming your cartridge is properly matched...! I hope this helps. Very nice system, BTW!
Swanny, what do you mean exactly? Is the x1 bright? From the grapevine, it may be the mismatch between the x250 and the arc LS25 that is causing the unwanted harshness/brightness. Would a perfectly mated X1 & X250 be less bright than a mismatched x250 & ARC LS25?
I used an ARC LS25ll with Pass X250 without any brightness issues, and thought it was a great combination. Have alsoi owned a Dacmagic and agree it is not up to the quality of the Pass or ARC.
I owned a VT100mkII, & it's pretty neutral sounding "for a tube amp", but still, it's unmistakably a tube amp. Why did you want a different amp?

I looked at your cables, they're on the "budget" end of Cardas cables, is that right? My experience is that the "budget" Cardas cables are not that great, you have to go to the higher end Cardas to really get the sound Cardas is known for. So I'd really put cables on the list of possible upgrades, along with the DAC, apparently.