Fuse burned out in shipping? ?

Okay, I bought an amp--a Halfer DH220--from a 'gent' who assures me it was in perfect working order prior to arriving. It arrives and one channel doesn't work. It was poorly packed, so I wasn't surprised, but it also had a burned fuse on the channel that no longer worked. Bad sign.

So I write this 'gent' who continues to insist that the amp was functioning at the time of shipping and he can't imagine why a fuse would of burned out. ---- He suggested that perhaps something happened in shipping to cause the fuse to burn out!! ---- Okay, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I smell BS. However, I decided I would give his story one tiny modicum of the benefit of doubt and come here and post. Soooo.....

Is there ANYTHING that could happen to an amp, packed inside a friggin box and not plugged in, that could cause it to burn out a fuse? I think this is complete crap, but hey, I'm not gonna crucify someone if I'm wrong.
aewhistory
Aewhistory,

The only way to tell if the amp had a blown fuse when you received the amp from the shipper was if you checked all the fuses in the amp before connecting it to the AC power.

The more practical, likely, explanation is the fuse blew when the amp was powered up in your home after you received the amp.

I would suggest you try another fuse of the same type/rating. Before doing so I would suggest a visual look around inside the amp for damage that may have occurred during shipping.

If it blows another fuse right away.., then the seller was cheating you.
08-30-12: Elizabeth
Disagree.
I am betting the fuse blew when Aewhistory hooked up the amp and turned it on.

Was the amp damaged in shipping? Aewhistory says the amp was poorly packaged.

Also it is not unusual for a shipping handler to drop a heavy item to the ground/floor/stoop from a standing position.

So the next question might be was the outer case, cabinet, enclosure, of the amp damaged in any way? What did the shipping box look like? Any evidence of excessive abuse?
The above answers are intelligent discussions of what may may have blown the fuse, but none even hint at an unplugged amp blowing a fuse on its own. So the straight answer is no but investigate the problem as suggested.
The above answers are intelligent discussions of what may may have blown the fuse, but none even hint at an unplugged amp blowing a fuse on its own.
08-30-12: Mechans

Mechans,

He suggested that perhaps something happened in shipping to cause the fuse to burn out!!
Aewhistory

You know the way I read that?.... The amp could have been damaged in shipment and when the buyer hooked up the amp and powered it on the fuse blew.

Doesn't that make more sense?

Aewhistory,

Is there a chance you shorted the speaker output terminals, with the connected speaker wire terminations, of the channel with the blown fuse?

Before you install the new fuse and try to power up the amp again make sure the speaker output terminals are not shorted.
Jim
Is is very common for shippers to leave things on the roof of a truck during lunch breaks and while driving slowly, thus subjecting items to lightening storms and wind driven falling power lines which can blow a fuse in an otherwise packed and sealed amp. Airplanes used in shipping get hit by lightening also, and often a criminal perpetrator is near or sitting on a box containing audio gear when being tasered. Very common, happens all the time.
It's possible the fuse got damaged in shipping from mechanical vibration. It's easy to tell if the fuse was damaged mechanically vs. was blown. Mechanically, the fuse element would be totally intact and just broke off. If the fuse blew you would see melted fuse element or charring of the element and sometimes the element gets deposited on the glass of the fuse. That being said the fuse would have had to sustain a rather large impact to break the element which begs the question, was the amp dropped in shipment?