Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers. Now Looking For Amp

Recently purchased a pair of Gallo 3.5's. I have been reading Audiogon for years, but this is my first question. Your assistance and expertise as to which amplifiers should be considered with these speakers would be greatly appreciated.

These speakers were selected to replace my B&W 805s speakers due to the fact that my equipment is going into a small music room (11'x13') where there is no dedicated seating for the purpose of listening to music. There is a drum set, 2 keyboards, 2 guitar positions, stereo rack flanked by speakers and a plasma tv on the wall above the stereo system. The center of the room is open as the music equipment has been placed more towards the walls. The 805s just don't have enough clarity and instrument separation when listening to them from one of the music positions. For the most part, the only time the stereo system is on is when I am playing one of the instruments.

Speaker positioning is limited in this current layout. Hopefully, a larger room will happen in the next few years but for now, this is it. If the room size does change, I will design a dedicated listening space in the new room. This is the reason for buying the best equipment possible for now (budget permitting). If the right pieces are added now, they won't necessarily have to be changed later.

I understand that these speakers do require some power to push them. "Preowned equipment" for the amplifier would be "preferred". Budget for the amplifier would probably max out at the $4,000-$4,500 range, but do not have to spend that much if something more economical does a great job. Musical style ranges from Blues, 70's-80's Rock, Santana, 'especially' acoustic guitar, etc... (not a fan of classical, but can appreciate it).

My current amplifier that will be replaced is a Rotel 1080. No problems with it, just thought it would be a good time to upgrade. I don't mind spending the money as long as it makes a noticeable difference!!!!!! Just trying to think long term and I do appreciate quality equipment.
bhpedalpusher
Hi Jim, I'm in St. Louis, not LA (unfortunately! ;)

My amp is the Pass INT-30A. I love the amp (very sweet mids and female vocals) and it is likely that the speakers will go, and not the amp, if I can't make it work. One possibility is to add the Gallo bass amp, but I'm not sure it's the lows I'm missing.

Not sure about matches for the 3.5s, other than Spectron; have you checked the 3.5 review thread here, and the 6moons and TAS reviews?

Keep me posted!

J
John,

I will look at those other reviews you mentioned.

There is another in-depth review on the 3.5's from Adventures in High Fidelity Audio that was written in April of 2012. You might find some helpful information in that review.

Here is the link http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/25/04/2012/the-anthony-gallo-acoustics-nucleus-reference-3-5-speakers-redefining-pure-genius/

The Reference SA was also referenced in that review as well.

I am going to look at a Bryston 4SST that is currently hooked up to a pair of 3.5's early next week. I will let you know what I find out. Hopefully, will have time to go to Spectron also.

Jim

Bhpedalpusher:

Just for your information: Mr. Gallo has developed his "3.5" speakers using our Musician III Mk2 amplifier.

Good Luck

Simon
Hi Bh. Yesterday I tried a nice hypex-based amp built by Chris Hoff of BPT, at 150 wpc. Chris and I compared the INT-30A to the Hypex running off the pre-section of the INT-30A. As expected, the Hypex combo seemed to have better control of the lows, while the Pass alone was perhaps more relaxed through the highs, though except for the lows, not a ton to choose between them. Overall, I would say our impressions confirmed the general sentiment that Gallos could do with a bit of power. Additionally, it might make sense to try the Gallo bass amp, esp. if you can audition one returnable.

Another observation is that the Gallo's could benefit from a bit more height: I'd consider some after market or homebrew stands to raise them up a bit.

Finally, although I seldom listen to this kind of music, the Gallos soundstaging and imaging really shine on large scale classical. Really remarkable, esp. considering their tiny size.

John
Simon,

Thank you for the info. I am not too far away from Chatsworth, do you have a showroom? Possibly with 3.5's that can be demo'd? Would love to see what your amps can do with these speakers. Also, like John recommended, it would be nice to see what the SA brings to the table.

John,
Really appreciate the information and follow-up. Here is what I am thinking, but not sure if this makes sense. What would you think of running 2 Spectron musician III mk2 monoblocks? The other question is that there are a couple of upgrades available with that amp. Are they worth the extra money and there is an SE model. Is this just the same amp with those upgrades already done.
Most of the reviews claim to really like this model of Spectron. So far, it's leading the race.