Is my Pass amp overheating?

The amp is an XA30.5.

Yesterday I was doing some tinkering and the amp was turned off for a couple hours (unusual for me). When I was done, I sat down to listen while the amp was still cold. To my surprise, it sounded BETTER than I'd ever heard it.

The amp is Class A, so according to conventional wisdom, it needs to warm up before sounding its best. Yet it definitely sounded better BEFORE it warmed up. So I'm wondering if the amp is overheating. To test this, I took the lid off the amp. Three things happened:

1. At idle, the bias needle moved from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock (unprecedented).

2. The cooling fins became much HOTTER (not cooler, as I would have expected).

3. The sound quality of the amp remained "improved" even after several hours.

Can someone please explain what's going on?

Thanks,
Bryon

P.S. The amp is in a closet. But I don't think that's the problem, for the following reasons: The amp is on the top shelf of an equipment rack, so there is two feet of open air above it. There is a large fan in the ceiling of the closet that sucks air and sends it through a duct to the outside of the house. So the closet stays very close to the temperature of the rest of the house. Also, I can reproduce all the effects described above with the closet door open.
bryoncunningham
Hi Bryon,

Just a guess, but is it possible that when the cover is put in place and tightened down the physical alignment of the heat sinks and the output transistors changes slightly, with the result that the integrity of the contact between the two is degraded? If that seems like a possibility you might try replacing the cover but not tightening it down as much.

Best,
-- Al
Post removed 
And the winner is... Elizabeth!

Just talked with Kent at Pass Labs. Nice guy. Kent said that, by removing the lid, the temperature inside the chassis falls (that much is obvious). When the internal temperature sensors detect falling temperature, the amp increases the bias. That's why the bias needle went from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. And when the bias goes up, the cooling fins get hotter. So...

lower internal temp -> increases the bias -> hotter cooling fins

...and...

higher internal temp -> decreases the bias -> cooler cooling fins

Makes total sense.

Here's the most interesting part: Increasing the bias also improves the sound quality. A LOT. Kent didn't seem surprised by that. He said that the bias level is determined by weighing various considerations, including not only sound quality but also heat output in the average domestic environment and safety issues associated with very hot cooling fins.

I mentioned to Kent my intention to leave the lid of the amp off. He wasn't too supportive of the idea. Something about lethal voltages. As far as the amp's lifespan, Kent said that running the bias that high isn't bad for the amp, since the parts have considerable temperature tolerances. In other words, I shouldn't worry too much about shortening the lifespan of the amp. And I'm not.

The issue of death by electrocution is a bit more serious. I'll have to weigh the value of better sound quality against the value of living. The amp is located high in a closet, so it would be a very bizarre set of circumstances that would lead me to reach up over my head and stick my hand in the amp while it was on. But I suppose anything is possible. Good judgment tells me to put the lid back on. Bad judgment tells me to enjoy this unexpected "upgrade."

Bryon
Post removed