Is there any truth to this question?

Will a lower powered amp that can drive your speakers, in your room, listening to the music you like sound better than using a powerful amp to avoid clipping?

Here's the scenario: Use a 50 w YBA amp to drive 86 db efficient Vandersteens in a 10 x 12 room, listening to jazz or

Will a 200 w Krell or such sound better and more effortless.

Some say buy all the power you can afford and others say the bigger amps have more component pairs ie) transistors to match and that can effect sound quality.
128x128digepix
Digepix, if you have a solid wall 3' behind the listening position, you might want to consider putting some absorptive material on that wall behind you, and moving your sitting position further back from the speakers. Not only will you get the rather considerable (with Vandersteens) benefits of driver integration and all advantages that come with it, you just might get better bass response at the listening position as well.
Unsound I'm limited to location, because I'm in an apartment and this is the only place that works and I'm also in a wheelchair full time. The absorptive material might work I have to look into that.
Unless there is something behind you, the wheel chair might actually be an advantage in this particular case.
In answer to your question, I'm not sure if the YBA or the Krell will sound better, but I'd think the Krell would work more effortlessly. If that effortlessness makes for better sound, only you can decide. I suspect it could.
Opps, hit the click to quick. I haven't heard the YBA's in some time, and honestly don't have a recollection of their sound. With that said, the Krells, have legendary tight bass, something that could help with the Vandys somewhat woolly bass. On the other hand despite claims to the contrary, the upper end of the Krells are not bright, in fact they're a bit dark. I think some confuse the bit of grain that Krells produce in this area with brightness. In any event, the Vandys can be a bit dark in this region too. So you might be concerned about doubling up on those traits.
Again, with inefficient speakers or speakers that present really difficult loads for amps, one must take that into consideration when purchasing an amp and really review the amps specifications and try them out personally before purchasing. The amp is designed to drive particular loads under particular circumstances and the size of the room, acoustics, distance from the speakers are are included into the decision. Just how hard does the amp has to work to drive the speakers. All speakers are not the same because their load impedance changes over frequency and power bandwith and the amp used must be able to handle that cleanly and operate within specifications. I would have a very hard time purchasing an 86 db "efficient" speaker unless I knew for sure that the amp to be used could handle the room and speaker. This is where being in the amp of the month club comes in. experimental purchasing without in-home demonstration. Which frustrates so many that want to get into this "hobby". But the more efficient the speaker, the less power I need to drive it. Hence 10 wpc amps driving horn speakers and you are blasted out of the room at 10 watts. Speakers move air and for traditional drivers, to move air means that the actual driver has to move. To move that driver takes power. How much power required depends on the load of the speaker, the speaker's efficiency rating and the room size and acoustics.

enjoy