Upscaling Speakers, Downscaling Amp...What to Do?

A few months back, I purchased a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsars. I've enjoyed them so much that I've decided to upgrade to the new Perspectives. However, my better half hath decreed that no more money can go into audio, so I've made the extremely difficult decision to sell my amp (VAC Phi Beta 110i) in the near future. Its replacements will obviously be significantly less expensive, yet they must provide a similar listening experience. The preamp is already fixed - a Modwright LS 100 with phono stage. My question for the board is, what amp? Tube or solid state? Cost (used) needs to be around $3000-3500, and a minimum of 100 wpc. The obvious pairing is either the Modwright KWA 150 or KWA 100SE. I would welcome any another other suggestions, but if you do so, please tell me why. Thanks in advance.
curriemt11
Rok2id,

You are absolutely correct - speakers, their placement, and the room in which they are housed have the largest effect on soundstage. However, amps and preamps certainly play a significant part in soundstage reproduction. Tube gear is famous for it. Solid state has traditionally been the laggard here, but has caught up considerably. Take a listen to most 1980s solid state amps and you are likely to hear flat, two dimensional audio.

I state this as my opinion. Unlike some, who come off sounding quite ignorant and inexperienced, I do not promote my opinions as fact.

Mike
You made a very sensble statement. This is how I see it. If you have the best soundstage conceivable in a home setup, and then you move that system to a closet or the bathroom, does the soundstage change? Of course. Why? The output of the CD player / TT has not changed. The output of the amp has not changed. The vibrations being emitted from the speaker's cones has not changed. But the inter-action with the much different and confined room causes the soundstage to collaspe. That means the sound and spatial perception that reaches your ears has changed. i.e the changes you hear are a result of the sound waves inter-acting within a much smaller room. There are many other ways to cause a soundstage to collapse, i.e. distance between speakers too great etc... The point is, the electronics play no role. All of this assumes it's not a mono recording from the 30's and the amp is a good match for driving the speakers..
If you have the best soundstage conceivable in a home setup, and then you move that system to a closet or the bathroom, does the soundstage change? Of course.

If you have the best soundstage conceivable in a home setup, and then you drop your amp from the top of a tall building, does the soundstage change? Of course.

More seriously, demonstrating the existence of one effect does not necessarily demonstrate the non-existence of another.

Mornin!

John
> The point is, the electronics play no role.

I did not say this, so I'm assuming it represents your own point of view? I simply said that the electronics are of relatively lesser importance.

If you ever have the opportunity to substitute one significantly different amp for another, with no other changes and with levels as closely matched as possible, I believe that you would hear quite a change in soundstage and imaging between, say, a Crown DC-300 and an Audio Research Ref 300.