six year old 6sn7's, pushing my luck?

I retubed my Cary SLP-05 with Pope tubes about 5 years ago. I leave the preamp on pretty much all the time except when I go on vacation. That comes to about....45,000 hours. The tubes are supposed to be good for 10,000.

And...I've experienced no noticeable degradation in the sound. I heard a clicking sound once when I turned the system on after a week's time off, but I jiggled the offending tube and the sound stopped.

I've experienced tube failure and noise and rush in other systems, but this one seems to be the Energizer Bunny of tubesets.

I wish those Pope tubes were still available for a reasonable price, but Upscale now wants $275 per tube, and I need 6 -- I just cant justify 1650 to retube the preamp, but for now maybe I don't need to.

Any thoughts on this? Have you had tubes that lasted like this? Could they be degrading so slowly that I don't notice? Am I taking any chances with my equipment?

Thanks much and happy new year!

Rich
rbirke
I suppose, if you consider the total lack of quality, intrinsic in virtually every product that comes out of that part of the World, a political issue; that's your choice. There are too many alternatives, with which to please my ears.
Rodman - a lot of people think the Black Treasures are one of the best 6SN7 tubes available. Cary used them at RMAF in a SLP-05 in their room. Yes you need to be careful of which ones you use, but the same is true of other tubes also.
Rodman99999 while I would certainly LOVE an alternative to purchasing anything from China and always make a concerted effort to do my part in that manner the real problem is that good NOS tubes are getting harder to find. Many of the 6SN7s are used, not always a bad thing if they have been tested and you know what you are getting. One area I suspect the NOS tubes may be better overall is longevity over the tubes currently being manufactured. The metals, coatings and quality control were almost certainly better than anything we get today because they were made to military standards that were critical. Your Tung Sols, lucky you, are probably among the best along with several of the Sylvanias which I keep as back-up, the Ken-Rads well, to each his own. Have you actually listened to them?

As the NOS tubes become more scarce the price is going to continue escalating. 15-20 years ago you could purchase these tubes for a song, not today. I purchased a pair of the Sophias to try as an alternative 9 months ago and was quite taken back by their performance after reading good things about them. They really are that good. The one thing that remains to be seen is how long they will last along with the Pavanne and Black Treasures. They haven't been around long enough to determine. I generally agree with you concerning Chinese tubes, at least in my experience.
I would NOT leave the linestage on all of the time. That will shorten the life of the tubes as well as other components (heat shortens the life of capacitors and resistors).

Your Cary has tube rectification which provides a soft start turn on of the tubes. There is no benefit, in terms of preserving tube life, to leaving the gear on all of the time. There is also a small risk of fire from leaving gear on unattended.

Small signal tubes, like the 6sn7 can last quite a long time, provided that they are run well below specified maximum parameters. It appears, from your experience, that that is the case with your Cary linestage. Still, with valuable tubes, it makes little sense to use them up heating your room--they are NOT making new tubes that are comparable to some of the better 6sn7s of yesterday.
Mr T- My Cary monoblocks use 6SN7s as phase splitters & drivers. I tried the top ten 6SN7GT/VT231's(all bottom gettered, but for the Sylvania 'W' tall bottles, from the 40's), mentioned on the Chimera list(http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm) in them, the first year of ownership(2002). I found the cleanest, most liquid, least tubey(to me=unnaturally warm) and most extended(both directions), to be the four that I mentioned as having in reserve. The Sylvania and Ken-Rad VT231/6SN7GTs only seem to give up a bit of sound stage width & depth, to the TS's and 'W's. That's using mixed pairs, in the mentioned positions. I tried every possible combination, in that year.