How to pick a tubed integrated without hearing one

I am taking the plunge into tubes. I do not see alot of manufactureres i am familiar with in the classifieds. How do i pick the right one ? I will be driving a small to medium sized bookshelf speaker . Probably a 8ohm model . My room is 11x14 .Should i only stick to names i have seen advertised in mags ? Will all of these have a similar sound/build quality.reliablity ? My budget will be around $1000 (used). Any info on these questions or on something i missed would be appreciated.
128x128maplegrovemusic
I have three comments:
1- You can look at all of the brochures and online specs, but there is no substitute to listening to an actual amp; preferably in your room with your speakers. I know that this is difficult in your case, but to do otherwise is just rolling the dice. TANSTAAFL

2- How many sources will you be using? If just one (CD player, media server, phono stage, etc.) you can save some money by considering a tube amp w/ gain (or volume) control. One inexpensive example is the Sophia Baby amp, which should run you under $500 used. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Conrad Johnson CAV-50 is one of the best built and nicest sounding integrated amps ever made. And it will hold it's resale value better than most. But there are lots of other great choices if you consider new, used and vintage.

3- Speakers are key; some (like me) would say that the speaker choice is more critical then the amp. Most (but not all) modern bookshelf speakers are of medium efficiency and do not sound best with low powered tube amps. Do you already have speakers that you are planning to use?
Develop a short list of potential amps, and then read everything you can about each of them. Look at the "professional" reviews as well as user comments on the various audio forums.

Hopefully you'll develop a sense of what attributes are important and have a better feeling about your purchase.
I use the Sophia Electric Baby that Br3098 mentioned. I run 92db towers in a room 17x30. Not a rock concert levels but loud enough that the conversation volume increases sometimes. Don't worry about the single set of inputs, I use a Kramer vs55se switcher for tuner, cd and phono preamp.
What speakers and other equipment do you presently have?

In the interim, I can easily go along with the recommendation of Rogue, however the Cronus Magnum is 90 wpcs and might be a bit much for your room size versus the base Cronus at 55wpc. Regardless of the amp you select, swapping out tubes- brands, NOS versus new issue, etc. will make a difference in what you hear - warmth, transparency, detail, etc. ,it is up to you what you like.