Lifespan of a quality solid state amplifier?

What is the expected lifespan of a quality solid state amplifier (Krell, Mark Levinson, Anthem, Bryton, Pass Labs)? Is their any maintenance that can be performed to extend the lifespan of one of these amps?

Regards,
Fernando
128x128fgm4275

Once again, I don't have the energy to read through your dissertation.

Despite whatever you said it is well documented that caps do age and I've replaced enough of them to know they do have a profound effect when I do.

If you google "electrolytic capacitor aging" you will find a ton of information that contradicts your position including Nelson Pass who's equipment you list in your system.

I will not be responding further since you clearly have no intention of accepting the overwhelming body of evidence that contradicts what you say. Believe whatever you wish. It is certainly cheaper than properly maintaining your equipment.

Take care

Routine maintenance, inspection and repair is required for any high-end piece of equipment. The same logic you apply to upper quality cars, home, etc. should apply to delicate, high end equipment. If you find a quality older high-end amplifier for example, send it to a qualified service technician for inspection and maintenance. If the amp is older, then they should automatically tell you that the caps should be replaced on general principle. However, also, checking the wiring, connectors, boards for burned traces and wear is automatic. I already posted comments regarding transistor, insulator and thermal heat sink compound replacement. This is automatic for a qualified technician. For someone that isn't properly trained, they wouldn't know what to look for or how to fix it. But, again, it depends on the equipment and whether there is inherent value in it. My earlier example was if at a "fire sale" you find a pair of Mark Levinson 20.6 amps. Absolutely, I would do whatever is necessary to bring them back to top shape and keep them. Capacitors, transistors, etc. But the other example whereby you have a 30 year old low to mid fi panasonic amp. It probably isn't worth it to replace anything. For high voltage power supply rail capacitors for example, they are really expensive. Large TO3 Motorola output power transistors are about $10 each. If your amp has thirty of those, well things start to really add up, incluing labor charges. I find it fun to repair and upgrade older 70's receivers because they are really nice, especially the huge ones with wood grain panels. So repairing them is okay for me. Caps, transistors, the whole thing. But the original poster said "quality solid state amp" Therefore a ML 23.5, ML23, Threshold, Bedini, etc. Yeah! I would inspect and maintain them. As for sound quality of capacitors, well if they are in the signal path, definitely, they affect the sound. But, everthing loses value over time. Older resistors change value. Don't believe me? check it out. Caps, transistors betas change over time and with heat and long term use. it isn't just the caps that would do this. So the argument about caps affecting sound is really not the point. The point is, on an older quality amp, what is the lifespan? The answer is, it depends on what you do to it. And that is proper routine inspection and maintenance, and that totally depends on the knowledge and experience of the qualified technician performing the work. Also, this also applies to older quality tube amplifiers. Proper inspection and maintenance.

enjoy
electrolytic caps have a limited life span.
No way around it.
500k hours I think. Average use 25 years or more. Some caps can last up to 50years. It depends on the environment too.
My 26 year old kenwood sounds like I am listening to a low bitrate mp3.
This is due to electrolytic breakdown.
2 old "low end hifi" SS amps chugging along: 1. a Hitachi receiver SR 2000, circa 1981, 70 W per channel continuous, inherited from my now deceased mother-in-law, has operated without a problem. I use it in my home office. It is on now playing blues..:) 2. my Hafler 9180 purchased in 1995 for $477 has never malfunctioned or shown any sign of sonic degradation.....:)