Problem with bi amping speakers

I tried to biamp my PSB Stratus Golds tonight using a Dussun V6i 150 watt SS integrated amp for the woofers and a Nobis Contigore 40 watt tube amp for the mids/highs. The contigore is similar to a Dynaco ST70. I used the preamp out on the Dussun and ran one cable to the preamp in on the Dussun and the other cable to the Nobis. Took the jumpers off the speakers and connected both amps to the respective terminals using the 8 ohm output on the Nobis.

When I turned on the amps, they both worked well for about a minute. Then I heard what sounded like feedback from a guitar amp, then ok, then feedback again, then the Dussun amp tripped. the Nobis kept playing. The feedback sound lasted for about 2 seconds each time.

Took it back apart, and both the Dussun and Nobis work fine alone. So what about my connections would cause this problem. I use a 2 male phono to a single female phono. One male end goes in the preamp out on the Dussun, the other male goes in the preamp in on the dussun, and an interconnect goes into the female end of the connector. There is one of these for each channel.

So, what am I doing wrong?
manitunc
I seem to think with this type of connection Manitunc has made introduces the impedance of the tube amps input stage into Dussun loop through the Dussun preamp section. This would seem to be the source of the overload to the Dussun preamp stage.
Hi Ed,

Typically tube amps have high input impedances, so its presence most likely does not result in a significant load on the preamp out signals from the Dussun. Even if it did, it would most likely just result in a small effect on sound quality, not an overload that would result in oscillation or shutdown. Depending on the output impedance and other aspects of the design of the circuit that drives the preamp outputs, even a dead short on that point is unlikely to cause those effects (although it would reduce the volume of what is heard to zero or close to it).
What is the point of pre/power RCA jumper threw if you need to use the "Y" cable?
The y-adapter allows the tube amp to be connected to the preamp out signals at the same time as the preamp out signals are routed into the power amp section of the Dussun. When the Dussun is the only amp being used, the jumpers that are normally in place (instead of the y-adapters) allow the preamp out signals to be routed into its power amp section.
I did ask Manitunc about the line out RCA's being attenuated from the volume control or if they only feed a constant signal.
I would feel pretty certain that the volume at the "line out" jacks is not varied by the volume control, while the volume at the "preamp out" jacks is varied by the volume control. The "line out" jacks are probably the same as what are sometimes referred to as "tape out" jacks.

Best regards,
-- Al
Al

Let me ask you this, if the jumpers are removed this disconnects the integrateds amplifier power output so hence the need for the "Y" cable

Ed
Let me ask you this, if the jumpers are removed this disconnects the integrateds amplifier power output so hence the need for the "Y" cable
Yes. If no jumper and no y-cable were present, no signal would be going into the power amp section of the Dussun. Presumably the purpose of having a removable jumper between preamp out and power amp in is to allow the Dussun to be used just as a power amp, in conjunction with a separate preamp or other front-end component.

Best regards,
-- Al
Yes, the line out bypasses the preamp volume control. That is why I dont use it for this purpose.

Almarg, you get it. So, if everything is hooked up as I say with no shorts, then you say the only cause of my problem could be a connection between the woofer and the mid/high in my PSB Golds. The manual for the Golds definitely provides for biwire and bi amping the speakers just by removing the jumper between the speaker connectors and running the cable from each amp to each pair of connectors. But I will try the multimeter this weekend and see what I can see.
thanks.