Vacuum tube preamp?

I have read that tube preamps can add some "warmth" and perhaps "soften" the audio signal input to the power amp. This has been recommended for systems which seem a bit "bright" in the reproduction of the higher range. I have Thiel CS 2's driven by a Hafler 9180 power amp and a Rotel 971 preamp. I haven't noticed feeling fatigued listening over long periods nor do I hear grain in the highs. I also wonder about characteristics of a given recording as the culprit more than my equipment. Any thoughts? If I did replace my preamp with a tube model I would want one at $500 or less? Do they exist at this low price?
nordic587
The best thing would be to find someone local that will let you audition one in your system.
I agree with Jdombrow, you should try borrowing one and see if the sound works for you. The "warm tube sound" is a generalization. There are incredibly transparent tube preamps, and very warm,rich, syrupy ones. And everything in between.

If you don't have any complaints about the sound now, what is it that you're trying to improve on?

Some options in about your price range that I think are pretty good for the price include the Marsh P2000t and Audio Mirror T-61.

Michael
Agree with the above. Tube preamps (and amps) cover the gamut from transparent to extremely colored with all shades in between. Better to try out a few and figure out what sound you prefer. Otherwise you will just get a bunch of recommendations that might not fit what you are going for.
Post removed